Anyone can make these Baked Sweet Potato Fries…..I mean anyone. You won’t miss out on fattening “fried” fries once you get a taste of these babies. No the recipe isn’t genius, but the flavor sure is. Baked sweet potato fries should be an essential in everyones recipe box. They are simple and quick to prepare. You can season them any which way with pretty much whatever spices you have in your spice rack.
Got curry powder? Throw it on. Fajita seasoning? Go for it. Craving something a bit sweeter? Sprinkle your sweet potatoes with some cinnamon, nutmeg or cardamom instead.
No matter how you season ’em…..happy flavors and loads of good for you nutrients are in these baked not fried “fries.”
Sweet Potatoes are a wonderful high-energy food choice to add in your meal plan. Some of the benefits include:
- Loads of vitamins and minerals, especially high in vitamins A & C.
- Lots of antioxidants to help fight those free radicals.
- Sweet potatoes are a complex carb with low glycemic index. Fuel food, not crash food.
To learn more about the health benefits of sweet potatoes click the following links:
- Livestrong: Facts on the Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
- Mayo Clinic: 10 Great Health Foods for Eating Well
- 2-4 large Garnet Yams "Sweet Potatoes", scrubbed clean, skin on, cut into 1/2 inch fries
- a few splashes of Herbed Olive Oil (I used groOrganic's Rosemary Garlic. You can use regular olive oil if you don't have flavored)
- Season to taste: *You can always add more seasoning when they are finished baking.
- Garlic Salt or Sea Salt
- Thyme or any spice you like including but not at all limited to: Rosemary, Smoked Paprika, Oregano, Curry Powder, Chili Powder, Chinese 5 Spice, Herbs de Provence, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cardamom, Ground Ginger, Allspice, Cayenne, etc.....anything goes here guys!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with Silpat or parchment paper. Toss cleaned & sliced sweet potatoes with olive oil and chosen seasonings. Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes. Toss every 10 minutes to assure that all sides cook evenly.
- Adjust baking time according to how crispy you want your "fries." If needed you can turn the broiler on low to crisp up your fries a little more. Watch them very carefully if you do this so they do not burn! Toss gently and often. A few minutes is all they will need under the broiler. Adjust your seasoning to taste if needed.
- Cook your Baked Sweet Potato Fries in a Big Batch so they are grab and go and at the ready. You can always re-heat them in the oven when you are ready to eat them.
- There are so many yummy flavored olive oils out there. From roasted garlic to various herb blends, they add loads of flavor to salads, sautés, roasted & grilled foods.
- Garnet Yams are the ones with the red skin & bright orange flesh.
Sweet Potato Fries Recipe Links