There is so much to love about a great big batch of homemade soup. Over here puréed veggie soups are a big hit. They are simple to prepare and you really can’t mess them up. Sometimes I roast the vegetables first other times I boil them until softened in a pot of broth. If you are not a huge fan of broccoli or cauliflower, I bet this soup will convert you to love them. A delicious creamy purée is formed when you combine the two together and add a whole avocado.
The nice thing about making a large pot of soup is that you can enjoy it for many meals. You can adjust the portion size to how hungry you are and you can toss in some shredded chicken, cheese, bacon crumbles, or chunks of tofu, etc. to make a more substantial meal.
Sometimes I top my bowl of veggie soup with a huge hunk of fish as I do in my recipe for Cauliflower Mushroom Leek Soup with Butter Fish.
You can top your bowl of soup with sliced Parmigiano-Reggiano, crumbled blue cheese, feta, goat cheese. How about a dollop of sour cream, thick greek yogurt or even a splash of heavy cream? The choices are yours and you really can’t go wrong.
Aren’t these purple wild flowers sweet? I picked them on my favorite hilly walk in Laguna Beach.
I love avocados, but up until this point I had only used them in guacamole, salsas and salads. Putting them in this soup gives a nice creamy texture and makes this soup a bit more filling. Avocados are bursting with nutrients and healthy fats.
What are your favorite vegetables to make soup with? Do you prefer puréed soups or more chunky types?
- 1 large Onion roughly chopped
- a few cloves of Garlic, roughly chopped
- splash of Olive Oil
- a few pinches of Cracked Black Pepper
- a few pinches of Smoked Paprika
- a few pinches dried Thyme
- 1 bunch of Broccoli, cleaned, remove stems and break into large florets
- 1 head of Cauliflower, cleaned and cut into large pieces
- 3 cups hot Broth (my favorites are Vegetable or Chicken)
- 1 pitted Avocado, cut into quarters
- Sour Cream
- Thick Greek Yogurt
- splash of Heavy Cream
- splash of melted Butter
- Heat a large soup pot with a splash of olive oil, onion, garlic and spices over medium high heat. When it starts to sizzle reduce heat to medium and cook about 5 minutes until lightly brown, softened and fragrant. Stir occasionally. Add the cauliflower and broccoli and cook these a few minutes with the onions. Add the hot broth to the soup pot, increase the heat back to medium high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat back to medium, partially cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are very soft and you can mash them with a fork.
- Remove soup from the stovetop and let it cool a bit. Add avocado. Purée with and immersion blender, blender or food processor until you get a smooth texture. Add more broth depending upon how thick you want your soup.
- Any type of broth or boullion, vegetarian or not, can be used in this soup.
- You might need to purée this soup in two batches because the volume is quite large. If so, divide the avocado in half so it mixes well into each batch. You combine all of the soup at the end and give a good mix.
Puréed Soup Recipe Links
- Easiest Pea Soup jonesing for…
- Pumpkin Purée Soup with Burnt Sage Butter Evan’s Kitchen Ramblings
- Purée of Carrot Soup with Curry and Ginger Zoom Yummy
- Sweet Potato Chickpea Soup MarlaMeridith.com
- Roasted Tomato Soup Bunky Cooks
- Zucchini Carrot Soup MarlaMeridith.com