Sometimes we need to kick back with simple soul food. I’m not talking’ heavier Southern cooking (although that’s great too!) What I mean is nourishing foods that make your soul feel reallllly great.
The idea behind the blog & the cookbook are the same. Farm-to-Table recipes for the Traditional Foods Lifestyle.
The author, Jennifer McGruther introduces us to the wisdom of Weston A. Price in this book. She believes so much in the true value of sustainable & natural ingredients that she started the Crested Butte Farmer’s Market with her husband. Speaking of that I really need to visit Crested Butte someday. I hear it’s gorgeous!!
Jennifer believes in a fad-free approach to cooking that emphasizes real, whole foods & high quality ingredients over processed foods. I dig her way & believe the same thing.
Although ingredients in the book are seasonal, they are not hard to find. Flavors are clean, pure & insightful.
I chose this Buttered Spinach recipe (page 28 in the book) to show off the simplicity of the recipes, yet the soul warming qualities. This dish is super healthy & protein packed to keep energy levels high! This simple recipe is great for any time of the day.
As you can see, I enjoyed my buttered spinach with a side of quinoa & extra hard boiled egg.
You can mix in some barley, pasta or any grains you like, to make a heartier meal.
There are so many stand out recipes in this book…a few I must try asap are:
- Roasted Tomato Salad with Mint (pg.18)
- Blistered Radishes with Parsley (pg.26)
- Eggs Poached in Fiery Tomato Sauce (pg.76)
- Puffed Pancake with Honey & Lemon (pg.81)
- Chicken in Riesling with Peas (pg.90)
- Milk Braised Pork Tenderloin (pg.99)
- Roasted Arctic Char with Sweet Orange & Rosemary Sauce (pg.129)
- Spot Prawns with Almonds & Garlic (pg. 153)
- Sweet Spiced Buns with Currants (pg.172)
- Marrow Beans with Swiss Chard & Lemon (pg.200)
- Roasted Sweet Cherry Fool (pg.226)
- Strawberries in Minted Honey Syrup (pg.252)
- Vanilla Mint Soda (pg. 291)
Hope you are as tempted as I am ~ Enjoy!
Spinach Recipe Links
- Chorizo Penne with Peppers & Spinach Cilantro & Lime
- Onion Spinach Roti Veginspirations
- Paleo Creamed Spinach The Healthy Foodie
- Spinach Salad with Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette Cooks with Cocktails
- Spinach Ricotta Stuffed Shells Baked By Rachel
- Warm Farro Salad with Spinach & Mushrooms Little Spice Jar
Disclosure: I was sent a copy of The Nourished Kitchen cookbook to review. All thoughts & opinions are my own. Author: Jennifer McGruther, publisher 10 Speed Press.