What is it about a hot bowl of soup that is so comforting and delicious? The simplicity of tossing a bunch of healthy ingredients into a pot and watching it bubble and simmer away is thrilling. Here cauliflower, mushrooms and leeks are sautéed in a bit of olive oil then covered in broth. the whole mixture gets a whirl in the blender and a beautiful puréed soup is formed. Top with the Butter Fish (Black Cod) and you have a little something more.
This soup can be made vegan & is perfect for #MeatlessMonday. If you go with the mushroom or vegetable broth, you stay vegan. You can add some beans, tofu or tempeh cubes to up the protein and make this soup a full meal. Adding cheese or sour cream makes this soup decadently creamy & very satisfying. I have wedges of goat cheese added to mine in the photo. I also like to add the spice tumeric to my recipes. It is said to have great health benefits & the yellow color is so pretty.
Cauliflower Mushroom Leek Soup with Butter Fish
makes about four 1 Cup servings
- Experiment with your favorite spice combinations. Curry powder, cumin or smoked paprika would be nice spices in this soup.
- 3 cups Vegetable, Chicken, Mushroom or Beef Broth, set 1 cup aside
- 1/2 cup mixed dried Mushrooms (I used a mix of Porcini, Shitake & Chanterelle mushrooms)
- 3 large leeks coarsely chopped, cleaned (take off ends and trim where dark green tough stem starts)
- 1 head Cauliflower, coarsely chopped
- Splash Garlic Oil or Olive Oil
- pinch of Black Pepper
- pinch of Tumeric
- handful of parsley
- 1 pound Butter Fish or Black Cod (same fish different name), cut into 4 pieces
- pinch of Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, Smoked Paprika
- spray oil for pan
Soup: Reconstitute dried mushrooms in 1 cup of hot broth until softened. Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium high heat. Add chopped leeks, pepper and tumeric to hot pan. Cook for about 5 minutes until softened and translucent, add chopped cauliflower and parsley. Reduce heat to medium cook for another 5 minutes. Add 2 cups of broth and mushrooms with soaking liquid. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Let soup cool a few minutes and then put in food processor or blender. Purée until desired thickness and consistency is reached. Add more or less broth depending on preference.
Fish: Heat a medium sauté pan on medium high heat. Season fish with salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Sauté fish in pan for about 3-4 minutes on the first side, flip and cook 2-3 more minutes until cooked through.
Assembly: Serve soup in a shallow bowl with fish on top. As a garnish you can add some fresh parsley, parmesan, sour cream or whatever else you desire.
Puréed Vegetable Soup Recipe Links