Chocolate-Vanilla Checkerboard Cookies
July 28, 2017
When I first received the book Marbled, Swirled and Layered by Irvin Lin (Eat The Love blog) I thought WOW! I also thought to myself…ack, I’m not a baker, how on earth am I going to tackle these beautiful creations. Well, thankfully after flipping through the mouthwatering recipes I realized that I could tackle any of them! This recipe for Chocolate-Vanilla Checkerboard Cookies was not only easy to prepare, but it was so fun too. I felt like a champ in the kitchen as I beat the dough, trimmed it and baked the cookies to perfection.
I always thought that the art to making these cookies was something reserved for pro bakers. I remember diving into boxes of these beauties when I lived back in NYC. They are delicious dipped in milk or with a steamy cup of coffee.
The recipe in the book yields 48 cookies, I brought some to my friends dinner party & guests swooned. They were impressed with my baking skills (thank you for excellent directions Irvin)
Marbled, Swirled and Layered has 150 recipes with plentiful variations, which makes it fun to customize your own treats. I love books that encourage creative thinking outside the box. The choices are endless for bars, cookies, pies, muffins, breads, cakes, cobblers, crisps and more. There are helpful sections for baking equipment, baking troubleshooting, ingredients and gluten-free conversions.
Over time I will definitely take the time to make many of the recipes in this cookbook. A few on my hotlist for the short term.
- Banana Crunch Beer Brownies
- Chocolate & Brown Sugar Buttercream Rolled Cake with Crushed Pistachios
- Chocolate, Peanut Butter, and Butterscotch Layered Cookies
- Coconut Jam Alfajores
- Jumbo Arnold Palmer Cookies
- Malted Milk Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel Frosting
- Pumpkin S’mores with Maple-Brown Sugar Marshmallows & Dark Chocolate
- Roasted Banana-Peanut Butter Cream Pie
- Smoky Butterscotch & Vanilla Cake
- Soft & Chewy Oat and Blueberry Ice Cream Sandwiches with Vanilla and Peach-Bourbon Ice Cream
- The Nostalgic Marshmallow-Filled Chocolate Cake (this is the cake on the cover)
There are plenty more to choose from, but you need to get the book to find your own favorites. This book is great for both beginner and advanced bakers.