Crisp, crunchy, bite sized veggies meet creamy avocado in this chopped salad. Blanching the broccoli creates a vibrant color and a tender texture, while the carrots and red cabbage are chopped fine and are kept raw. The avocado and creaminess of the tahini dressing lend a symphony of flavor and texture to each bite. This salad is loaded with vitamins, minerals and just enough healthy fats. Be sure to keep all of your veggies chopped small and relatively uniform in size so you get every flavor in each bite.
This salad is versatile enough to be eaten on its own, with a piece of whole grain bread or it can be accompanied by a lean protein to make it a complete meal. You can toss it with brown rice and chunks of tofu as well.
A few posts back in The Simple Salad I spoke about diversifying your color palette when you choose ingredients. The more colors you add to your salad, the more vitamins & minerals will visit your body. We like that! With broccoli, red cabbage and carrots you get a broad range of fiber filled phytonutrients. These nutrients help protect us from free-radical damage (environmental chaos.)
Chopped Broccoli Salad with Tahini Soy Dressing
Makes about 6 servings
- This salad is lightly dressed. Add more soy & tahini if you want more flavor.
- 1 bunch fresh Broccoli, chopped into bite sized pieces (about 5-6 cups).
- 1 large Carrot, peeled, diced small
- 1 cup Red Cabbage, diced small
- 3 tablespoons Tahini paste
- 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce or Gluten Free Tamari
- 1 tablespoon Mustard Seed
- a pinch of Garlic Powder
- a pinch of Black Pepper
- a pinch ground Ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced Dried Onion
- a handful of chopped fresh Cilantro (reserve some for garnish)
- 1 Avocado, diced small
- a splash of Lemon Juice to prevent avocado browning
Prepare a large bowl of ice water. Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add broccoli, reduce heat to medium high and blanch for 2-3 minutes (depending on how crisp you want it.) Immediately drain the broccoli and submerge it in ice water to halt cooking. Remove broccoli from water and chop into small bite sized pieces.
In a small bowl whisk together tahini, soy sauce, mustard seed, garlic powder, black pepper and ginger. Gently mix the veggies (excluding avocado) together with dressing. Cut up the avocado and toss with lemon juice. Add minced dried onion and avocado tossing gently and combining thoroughly.
Chopped Salad Recipe Links
- Baby Arugula Chopped Salad with Chicken, Mozzarella and Tomatoes Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Chopped Greek Salad FOODsessed
- Chopped Shrimp Waldorf Salad Use Real Butter
- Holiday Chopped Salad Meet Me in the Kitchen
- Sweet Corn Salad Two Peas and Their Pod
- Zucchini Feta Cheese Chopped Salad MarlaMeridith.com