We call my son the “Nugget.” My friend Angie came up with this name and it stuck. He’s got a smile that brightens up my day…..always. I made these in honor of his nickname. These Cocoa Dusted Hazel-Nuggets are perfect to share with your loved ones on Valentine’s Day. The combination of chocolate and hazelnuts is always a treat. Hence the invention of delicious Nutella spread. Nutella Day is here and this is my contribution. This is a major holiday in the world of food bloggers.
I am looking forward to touring around the web to see all the goodies everyone has come up with for this super fun event!
- A great source of healthy fats.
- Suitable for vegans, vegetarians and meat eaters.
- A great grab and go snack/mini-meal.
- Versatile. You can grind hazelnuts and use them to replace traditional flour “breading.” Instead of almond meal you can grind up hazelnuts and use them in my Skinny Almond Crusted Chicken Strips. Hazelnuts can top salads and can be eaten out of your hand. They can be ground into Hazelnut Butter.
Eating nuts mindfully and with portion control can be a great addition of healthy fats to you balanced diet. Nuts are rich in fiber, omega-3’s, antioxidants, phytonutrients and they play a role in good cardiovascular health.
Cocoa Dusted Hazel-Nuggets
makes about 8 servings
- I say go Big Batch here, the more Cocoa Dusted Hazel-Nuggets you have the better! This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
- Source Organic ingredients when available
- As always, use your own taste buds to determine how you want to season your Hazel-Nuggets. My ingredient lists are wide open for interpretation! I would love to hear your version.
2 cups Hazelnuts: Soak for 1 hour in warm water and peel off skins if you want to, I did
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Orange Extract (You can omit or use Coffee or Coconut Extract here too!)
2 tbs Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 Egg White
1/4 cup Agave Syrup, or Maple Syrup
1/4 tsp Salt
Add the following to a bowl, combine & set aside:
2 tbs Sweetened Cocoa Powder -or-
2 tsp Stevia Powder & 2 tbs Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
Pre heat oven to 275˚F. Line a baking sheet w/Silpat or parchment. Whisk together all ingredients excluding hazelnuts until well combined. Add hazelnuts to mixture, toss well to coat evenly. Place coated hazelnuts on lined baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for about 35-40 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes. Watch carefully towards the end so they do not burn. Let them cool on baking sheet. Toss nuts in bowl with cocoa powder until well dusted. Store in an airtight container.
- Use your Cocoa Dusted Hazel Nuggets to top your Oat Bowl.
- Spread a handful over your Thick Greek Yogurt parfait.
- Don’t have Hazelnuts, try this recipe with almonds instead.
Nutella (Hazelnut Chocolate) Recipe Links