April 22, 2013
What?? Nachos made with thinly sliced potatoes instead of corn chips? Yup! Until now I had never had such a thing. Now I am hooked. Thanks to my great pal Gaby Dalkin from What’s Gaby Cooking and her new cookbook Absolutely Avocados ~ I now have plenty of new recipes to explore. All which use one of the the best ingredients on earth….avocados!
Are you a fan of avocado? Did you know that this creamy fruit (not vegetable) can be used in all kinds of sweet and savory year-round recipes? Sometimes you can tell right away that it’s in a recipe, other times it’a an ingredient that acts a bit more stealth.
In the case of these Irish Nachos, mashed avocado is the crowning star….
If avocados have ever confused you this book will demystify and quell any questions, thoughts and concerns.
Gaby is obsessed with everything avocado and she has become a go-to avocado diva. It takes a connoisseur to write a book with 80 avocado recipes for every meal of the day.
I hear Gaby’s fun and enthusiastic voice in the forward and every recipe header. I know she had a blast developing these recipes & writing this book. Gaby is a pro in the kitchen & was professionally trained in culinary school. Her recipes were all rigorously tested so you can be sure of success in your kitchen!
I chose this recipe to share with you because it jumped out at me…leapt off the page and begged me to re-create it in my kitchen.
What makes Irish Nachos so special? First of all they are perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner or any time at all. The potatoes are sliced real thin and baked until soft in the oven. While that’s doin’ you sizzle up some finely chopped onions and bell peppers. Then you slap bacon in that very same pan…nuff said right?
Oh wait it gets better ~ then you mash up the avocado and make an almost guacamole kinda deal. You set the avocado mash & the crispy, smoky bacon aside…for just a few minutes…..don’t worry.
And then you layer the potatoes, veggies with a big fist full of cheddar cheese. Set the skillet back in the oven ~ let everything get all melted and gooey. Pull it out & top with the bacon and avocado.
Serve your Irish Nachos in the skillet ~ your family and guests will be wowed with it’s beauty and flavor! Pinky promise.
I have not been about to keep my mind off of Irish Nachos now that I discovered them. Thanks Gaby!
A few stand out recipes include:
- Avocado & Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
- Avocado Brownies
- Avocado Superfood Smoothie
- Avocado Stuffed Potato Skina
- Avocado Tuna Ceviche
- Cowboy Caviar Couscous Salad
- Grilled Flank Steak with Avocado Chimichurri
- Mexican Chopped Salad
- and waaaayyy more!
Details: This giveaway is closed.
One FamilyFreshCooking.com fan can win a copy of this book. Within the pages of this beautiful cookbook you will find 80 recipes that’ll knock your socks off & wow your tastebuds. Also, there are helpful pages with all kinds of smart tid-bits. You will surely walk away an avocado connoisseur! Absolutely Avocados is available now for purchase as well.
This giveaway will be open until Friday, April 26th, 2013 midnight PST. Winners will be chosen at random. Giveaway copies will ship quarterly to USA entries only.
To Enter (up to 7 entries per person)
- Mandatory Entry Go to What’s Gaby Cooking website and tell me which recipe you would like to try.
Extra Entries: Leave a Separate Comment for Each
- Follow me (Marla Meridith) on Pinterest
- Visit the Marla Meridith Lifestyle Facebook fan page & join the fun over there!
- Visit the MarlaMeridith.com Facebook fan page & join the fun over there!
- Follow me (Marla Meridith) on Twitter
- Follow (Whats Gaby Cooking) on Twitter
- Visit the What’s Gaby Cooking Facebook fan page & join the fun over there!
Avocado Recipe Links
- Avocado Scones ~ Vegan, Gluten Free MarlaMeridith.com
- Avocado & Chorizo Stuffed Party Rolls with Creamy Avocado Ranch Dip I Wash You Dry
- Baked Panko Avocado Fries The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife
- Broccoli Slaw with Caramelized Grapefruit & Avocado Brooklyn Supper
- Mexican Grilled Cheese BS in the Kitchen
- Papaya Strawberry Avocado Shake MarlaMeridith.com
- Poached Egg & Avocado Sandwich Voluptuous Delights