I always enjoy unexpected flavor combinations, for example my Chocolate Ginger Truffles with Cacao & Smoked Sea Salt. Another thing I LOVE is protein…..lots of it. I like protein with my protein, my Egg Battered Grilled Cheese is a great example of that. Protein makes us feel great and keeps our energy levels high. We have fewer energy crashes throughout the day when we eat healthy fats mixed with low glycemic carbs and lean proteins. Another one of my BIG secrets to lots of energy? Coffee, lots of it. Love the stuff.
Recently my friend Gaby of What’s Gaby Cooking came up with a genius Strawberry Basil Lemonade. Folks from around the world have been swooning over it. Her fun flavor combination makes for a great summer cooler with or without the addition of alcohol. (I don’t drink booze so the alcohol thing doesn’t apply to my world anyway.)
The other day I was craving my protein with the interesting flavor combo that Miss Gaby put together. Instead of liquid form I needed something to chew on. Savory eggs and cheese mixed with sweet strawberries and fresh basil was what needed to happen. It did and my taste buds and tummy were very happy indeed. Thank you Gaby for helping to satisfy my cravings!
Omelette with Brie Cheese, Basil and Strawberries
Serves as many as you want it to. Ingredients are listed per serving.
- 1 large Egg
- 2 egg whites or 2 ounces Egg Whites
- 1 ounce of Brie, break into pieces
- 4-6 thinly sliced Strawberries
- handful chopped fresh Basil & a Basil leaf for garnish
- pinch of Salt & Black Pepper
- Cooking Spray or a little bit of Butter
- Lightly spray or butter a small sauté pan. Heat on medium heat. Whisk eggs in a bowl with salt and pepper. When pan is hot add egg mixture. Let the egg cook through a few minutes, reduce heat if needed. For directions on how to make the perfect omelet this is a great video from Gourmet online: THE TECHNIQUE: THE MODERN OMELET WITH OLIVIER MULLER
- When the omelet is almost cooked & still a bit juicy in the center add the brie, chopped basil and strawberries to one half of the omelet. Cook a few more seconds and then flip the empty side over the fruity cheesy side. Cook about 30 seconds more and gently remove from pan. Top with basil leaf and additional strawberries if desired.