I have to be honest with you guys-I don’t really like potatoes. I adore sweet potatoes, but they offer up a whole other kind of experience. Regular starchy potatoes have never really been my thing. Until now. I have found a way to not just like, but adore potatoes. It helps that these sound more elegant because they are Swedish baked potatoes (Hasselbackspotatis.) Don’t worry I won’t make you say that word, just enjoy your potatoes.
Honestly I would not have bought the bag of gold potatoes at Trader Joe’s had my daughter not been obsessed about me making her mashed potatoes. I was willing to go mashed for her, but then I thought about the photos. It’s all about the food styling & pictures right guys?
OK, it’s about the flavor, balanced healthy meal planning and the pretty pictures. Pair this side dish up with your favorite lean protein, steamed veggies or a salad. Food should look as good as it tastes. After all, we eat with our eyes first. There are 3 things I do when I have an ingredient and I don’t know what to do with it.
- Head straight over to Tastespotting and Foodgawker
- Check out my friends recipe blogs.
- Give a shout out on Facebookand Twitterfor help & suggestions.
People always respond immediately with great suggestions and the photo galleries always come through.
On Tastespotting I found a recipe from Sea Salt with Food. My friend Dorothy from Shockingly Deliciousposted a link to her Accordion Baked Potatoes on my Facebook page that I found after I had made these babies. Dorothy always has great recipes to share-hence the name of her blog!
These potatoes look so pretty and yet they are very simple to prepare. I suggest using the best Parmigiano-Reggiano you can get your hands on. You will put this inside the slits of these Hasselback’s along with the garlic and other ingredients. The cheese melts and the flavors combine to create perfection. Something tells me these potatoes would be a great addition to our Thanksgiving table…….
- 4 medium Potatoes, cleaned & leave skins on (I used Yukon Gold)
- 4 cloves of Garlic, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- pinch of Salt
- pinch of Black Pepper
- pinch of Smoked Paprika
- 1 ounce shaved Parmesan Cheese (have some additional for sprinkling as a garnish)
- chopped Chives for garnish
- Pre heat oven to 425 F with rack in the middle of the oven. Lay potatoes flat on cutting board and starting from one end of the potato, make slits about 3-4mm apart. Cut to about 1/4 inch from the base of the potato. Be careful not to slice all the way through. The potato will fan out a bit as it bakes.
- Combine olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, smoked paprika and parmesan cheese in a small bowl. Carefully insert pinches of this mixture in between the slits of the potatoes. Rub the outsides of the potatoes with residual oil. Arrange potatoes on baking sheet and bake for about 40-45 minutes. The inside should be cooked through and the outside of the potato should be a bit crispy. Garnish with additional salt, smoked paprika, pepper, parmesan and chives.
Baked Potato Recipe Links