On Tuesday I tweeted this “Should I go Sweet or Savory for my Thursday post??” @bodaciousgirl responded with “The other “S” – Spooky.” That request fit in with none of the recipes I had in the posting pipeline. Truly, I thought I was done posting Halloween. Not. Quite.
The one thing that is tricky about being a food blogger is we tend to celebrate holidays a month or so before they take place. I have been in the kitchen a lot more than usual lately. I have been enjoying baking and everything pumpkin. Perhaps it is the wonder of the season or the constant need to put little treats in my kids lunch boxes. Whatever it is I love it!
This french toast would be perfect served Halloween morning, or any morning for that matter. As you know Stuffed French Toast is more a method than an actual recipe. It is my favorite morning breakfast. Each day when I bound out of bed at 4am, I pop one of these in a hot skillet and brew a pot of dark roast coffee.
While my Stuffed French Toast sizzles away in the pan, I open the window to take in a breath of cool fresh air. When it is plated, piping hot I take a seat & enjoy the dark, the stillness & this delicious, nourishing food. ahhhhhh
The outer edge of this breakfast sandwich is crispy from the egg, bread oil and heat. The inside is a whole other experience – creamy, almost like a pudding. Simply, amazing. Have fun decorating the tops of these with shapes that mimic your mood or the holiday season. They would be so cute with little Christmas trees, reindeer, stars, hearts or anything.
If you want double pumpkin flavor you can dip this french toast in my Homemade Pumpkin Applesauce. Roll the edges in cocoa powder and top with pillows of whipped cream or sweetened fat free Thick Greek Yogurt.
- Use sweet potato purée instead of pumpkin.
- Slice up your favorite fruit instead of pumpkin.
- An all fruit jelly would be a fun spread with the ricotta too!
- Instead of pumpkin pie spice, you can try a Chai spice blend with cardamom.
French Toast Recipe Links
- Marla’s Stuffed French Toast MarlaMeridith.com
- Strawberry Mozzarella Stuffed French Toast MarlaMeridith.com
- Brioche French Toast with Maple Banana Sauce Almost Bourdain
- Caramelized Apple French Toast Sea Salt with Food
- Filled French Toast Waffle The Little Foodie
- Pumpkin Bread French Toast Pennies on a Platter
This post has been included in TidyMom’s I’m Lovin it Fridays