How about some green tea yogurt parfaits to celebrate the arrival of Spring. I know, I am the self proclaimed mountain girl who likes everything winter & snow. Perhaps I am softening up a bit and enjoying the fact that I live in the OC. Apart from the small tremor we felt yesterday, Orange County is a very beautiful & peaceful place to live. Sure we might teeter on precarious fault lines, but the constant bluebird skies are a great perk.
What these parfaits are:
- A calcium filled treat.
- A low glycemic way to satisfy sugar cravings.
- Made with healthy fats to sustain energy levels.
- Creamy, delicious, decadent & simple to prepare.
- Added benefits from antioxidant filled green tea.
- No need to use artificial green food coloring. The Matcha green tea powder has great flavor & is a beautiful shade of green!
- This parfait has excellent ratios of healthy fat and lean protein. You can add some carbs too with fruit & whole grains.
- Great for breakfast, brunch, mini meals & lunch boxes.
- A note about Matcha: Yes, it costs a bit more than other ingredients, but a little goes a long way. One tin should last a very long time.
Have you ever used matcha green tea powder? What is your favorite kind of parfait?
Green Tea Matcha Yogurt Parfait
- a few fresh Strawberries, thinly sliced and cut into little shapes
- 6 -8 oz non fat Thick Greek Yogurt (strained yogurt)
- about 1 tsp Matcha Green Tea powder (use more or less according to taste preference)
- 4 tbs ground Flaxseed
- Sweeten to taste: Stevia (I use my Vanilla Stevia Drops,) Sucanat, Maple, Honey or Agave nectar good too
- Thinly sliced strawberries or other fruit. Strawberries, bananas, apples, pear, etc…..
- Optional: Fresh Mint Leaves for garnish
Cut flowers out of your favorite fruit with mini cookie cutters. Combine yogurt with matcha green tea powder and sweetener of choice. If you are going to make white & green layers, just add a little matcha green tea powder to 1/2 the yogurt. You can sweeten both flavors or just one depending on how tart you like your parfait.
In parfait glass layer the flaxseed first and then add in yogurt layers. Insert bamboo skewers into the fruit flowers and place them in yogurt. Make sure the skewer is long enough to reach down to the flaxseed layer, otherwise they will topple over. I broke my skewers into different lengths. Add fresh mint leaves for additional garnish.
- Add a handful of rolled oats or whole grain cereal if you want a serving of whole grain carbs.
- I stirred in a little cooked steel cut oats, the texture was like rice pudding.
- Add a handful of fresh or dried fruit.
- You can do a chocolate layer, just add some cocoa powder to yogurt.
- You can put assembled parfait in the freezer for about an hour if you want a frozen yogurt experience.
Matcha Green Tea Recipe Links