I was doing my blog surfing yesterday morning and paid a visit to my buddies White on Rice Couple. They always have captivating blog posts, this one in particular offered a unique opportunity. They are a part of the super fun Summer Fest community. This is the third year of this blogger event. Each week until the end of August Margaret Roach from A Way to Garden has chosen a garden fresh produce selection for us. It is up to the community to create recipes and share our creations with the world. It is a unique opportunity to meet new bloggers and showcase the summer’s bounty.
Summer Fest sweeps a broad range of participants. There are gardeners, bloggers and recipe developers. I have something to confess to you all. I am not a gardener. No green thumb over here. Feel free to hand over your garden fresh fruits & veggies. I’ll create something special & tasty with them. I think we are all put onto this Earth to celebrate our unique talents and growing things in my backyard has never been one of them.
This week Summer Fest celebrates Zukes and Cukes. I went with Zukes for this recipe. Greek salads are my go-to year round salad. Usually I combine feta & chopped veggies with varied lettuces or baby spinach leaves. Here I play around with texture and use julienned zucchini to mix things up a bit. It is amazing how a veggie can be cut & trimmed in so many ways. Each presentation gives it a special twist in a dish. For example, I usually cut my zucchini into rounds or spears. In this salad the julienne makes this salad kind of like a slaw.
This zucchini salad is a nice replacement for traditional cole slaw. I would love to try using it as an alternative topping for a hot dog or burger. Next time you BBQ, hold the relish & sauerkraut & try something new.
Each bite of this salad is filled with briny olive flavor, salty feta & crisp veggies. The bell pepper maintains lots of crunch while the zucchini marinates and softens very quickly. Serve this salad nice and cold, straight out of the fridge is best.
Who says kids don’t eat their veggies? The Nugget can’t keep his hands off these Zukes.
What kinds of unique ways do you use zucchini? Feel free to share some links in your comments!
Zucchini Recipe Links
- Zucchini Breakfast Casserole Simply Recipes
- Grilled Zucchini Roll Cookin’ Canuck
- Zucchini Fritters with Feta and Dill Eats Well with Others
- Pasta with Zucchini Parmesan and Garlic One Perfect Bite
- Chocolate Zucchini Spelt Cake Anja’s Food for Thought
Matt Armendariz of MattBites made that neato Summer Fest logo above. Here is a list of the host bloggers for Summer Fest 2010. At these blogs you will find more Zucchini and Cucumber recipe links. If you create a post leave a comment on these host blogs and link to your creation along with your twitter name.
- Away to Garden with Margaret Roach @MargaretRoach
- Scripps/Food Network with Deb Puchalla @DebPuchalla
- Healthy Eats, Food Network Blog with Elizabeth Gray @healthyeats
- Food Network Dish & Cooking Channel , Kristin Vala and Sara Levine @foodnetwork , @cookingchannel
- Cooking Channel Devour The Blog with Michelle Buffardi @mbuffardi
- Food2 Blog with Alison Sickelka @ali_s
- Just A Taste with Kelly Senyei @justataste
- Food Philosophy with Jennifer Iannolo @foodphilosophy
- Remarkable Palate with Chef Mark Tafoya @chefmark
- Alice Q Foodie with Alice @aliceqfoodie
- Pinch My Salt with Nicole @pinchmysalt
- Caroline Wright Food with Caroline @chefcaroline
- San Diego Food Stuff with Caron Golden @carondg
- Sweet Nicks with Cate O’Malley
- Gluten Free Girl with Shauna and Danny Ahern @glutenfreegirl
- The Sister Project with Paige Smith Orloff @paigeorloff
- Tea and Cookies with Tara Weaver
- Eat From the Ground Up with Alana Chernila @alanachernila
- Tigress in a Pickle with Tigress