Here is a fun twist on scones for Mother’s Day, Cinco de Mayo or tea parties. I came up with a slightly sweet, crumbly scone to celebrate life and gluten free vegan baking. Avocados take center stage here and they add a delightful texture to baked goods. This creamy green fruit is awesome all year round in recipes, but they get a lot of attention as the weather warms up. I love to make them the star in salads, soup, tostadas, tacos, chili, guacamole and now…….scones.
I came home the other day and found my husband making this beautiful homemade bird’s nest basket. Stay tuned, it will become the star prop in many blog posts. I am smitten by it.
In my last post for Almond Chickpea Cookies, garbanzo flour was the star. The chickpea flavor shines in those cookies. That is what makes them special. Exploring flavor twists is fun. Don’t let the idea of avocado in sweets scare you. It replaces other fats and you don’t really taste it. Though I wish you did. Next time I will keep some chunky pieces in the batter. In these scones I also use brown rice flour. Since I like stronger flavor this works for me. If you want something a bit less pronounced you can also go with larger ratios of oat or corn flour. For those of you who are not on a gluten free diet, you can also have great results with whole wheat pastry flour.
I pressed dried blueberries into the top of the scones before I baked them. You could put any dried fruit, raisins, sunflower seeds, or nuts in these scones. A combo of fruit, nuts and chocolate would be fabulous. Next time.
This recipe is part of the Gluten Free Ratio Rally. Our theme this month is scones. Last month we did quick breads. If you have not seen my Sweet Strawberry Snack Cakes please check ’em out. Those little cakes are delish!
The premise of the rally is to create recipes using weight versus cup measures. The idea is that you can adapt recipes easier with weight measures. Weight instead of volume should yield good results every time. A list of all the other creations by fabulous recipe bloggers can be found at the bottom of this post. Feel free to link up your scone recipes too. I am not sure what the theme is for June, but you can join us if you wish. You can contact Erin at The Sensitive Epicure if you want more details.
Enjoy with a piping cup of coffee, a chilled glass of milk and a smile.
Avocado Scones – Vegan and Gluten Free
Makes 8 Scones
- If you cannot find brown rice flour you can try equal ratios of gluten free oat or corn flour. Whole wheat pastry flour could work too if you are not gluten sensitive.
- Honey or agave could be used instead of the maple syrup. You might want to taste the dough to see if it is sweetened to your liking.
- These scones are great served with lightly sweetened whipped cream, almond butter, peanut butter, whipped cream cheese, butter or thick Greek yogurt.
- All of the ounce measurements in this recipe are weighed on a kitchen scale.
- 155 grams (about 1 cup) Brown Rice Flour
- 115 grams (about 1 cup) Oat Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon fine Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 4 ounces fresh Avocado
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) low fat, unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) pure Maple Syrup (I like grade B maple)
- 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) Dried Blueberries (any dried fruit, nuts, seeds or chocolate chips would be great too)
- optional: powdered Stevia or Sucanat sprinkled on top after baking
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat liner. Sprinkle a work surface with some oat or rice flour. Preheat oven to 350˚ F with the rack in the middle. In a medium bowl whisk together dry ingredients. Put avocado, coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract in a blender or food processor. Purée until well combined. Add avocado purée to flour mixture. Combine with a spoon and then fold together with your hands. Dough will be sticky at first but then it comes together to create a semi-firm ball.
Move dough to the floured work surface, flatten dough into a 1/2 inch thick disk. Press dried blueberries into the top. Cut disk into 8 pieces with a pizza cutter. Gently transfer to cookie sheet and keep about 1/4 inch or more in between slices. Bake for about 10-12 minutes until lightly browned on the bottom.
Healthy Scones Recipe Links
- Cranberry Walnut Scones Anja’s Food for Thought
- Gluten Free Muesli Scones Elana’s Pantry
- Oatmeal Scones with Dried Cherries and Dark Chocolate Healthy Green Kitchen
- Orange Dark Chocolate Chip Scones Elana’s Pantry
- Royal Wedding Scones with Clotted Cream and Strawberry Jam Oh She Glows
Avocado Dessert Links
- Avocado Ice Cream Two Peas and Their Pod
- Avocado Frosted Brownies Delicioasa
- Avocado Lime Whip Fruit Medley Pizza Oh She Glows
- Avocado Pistachio Creme Brulee Eats Well with Others
- Whole Wheat vegan Chocolate Avocado Cake Marcus Sameulsson
Ratio Rally Scone Recipes
- Amie of The Healthy Apple – Rice Crispy Scones
- Britt of GF in the City – Ratio Rally Scones
- Brooke of B & the Boy – Coconut
- Caleigh of Gluten-Free[k] – Jam on Top or Cream on Top
- Caneel of Mama Me Gluten-Free – Savory Jalapeno
- Caroline of The G-Spot – Scones
- Charissa of Zest Bakery – Amaretto Soaked Cherry and Almond
- Claire of Gluten Freedom – Strawberry Banana
- Erin of the Sensitive Epicure – Millet Scones
- Gretchen of Kumquat – Maple Oat Nut
- Irvin of Eat the Love – Garlic Pepper Thyme Scones with Maple Glaze
- Jeanette of Jeanette’s Healthy Living – Coconut Pineapple
- Jenn of Jenn Cuisine – Banana Apple Currant
- Karen of Cooking Gluten-Free – Oat Scones with Currants
- Kate of Katealice Cookbook – Cinnamon Fruit
- Lauren of Celiac Teen – Scones
- Lisa of Gluten-Free Canteen – Bisconies
- Lisa of With Style and Grace – Lavender Earl Grey
- Marla of MarlaMeridith.com – Vegan Avocado Scones
- Meaghan of Wicked Good Vegan – Scones
- Melanie of Mindful Food – Hazelnut Cream Scones with Blackberry
- Meredith of Gluten Free Betty – Cinnamon Raisin
- Morri of Meals with Morri – Yerba Mate Chai
- Mrs. R of Honey from Flinty Rocks – Classic Cream
- Mrs. R of Honey from Flinty Rocks – Almond Fig
- Peter and Kelli of No Gluten No Problem – Mesquite
- Sea of Book of Yum – Classic Dairy Free
- Shauna of Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef – Gluten Free Scones
- Silvana of Silvana’s Kitchen – Pecan Streusel Scones with Cinnamon Drizzle
- Tara of A Baking Life – Ginger
- TR of No One Likes Crumbley Cookies – Cinnamon Pecan
- Wendy of La Phemme Phoodie –Red Velvet
- Winnie of Healthy Green Kitchen – Coconut Raisin