What do you get when you take sweet apples, crunchy walnuts and tangy, creamy cheddar cheese? Over here we call this Apple Pie Grilled Cheese. This sweet-savory sandwich is a healthy nod to honor National Grilled Cheese Month. I am grateful that Kerrygold sent me a timely package of fine cheese and butter to explore. It has been a fun journey tasting all of their rich and fabulous cheese and butter.
I like this grilled cheese open faced, that way I can really taste all the flavors. I smear some butter on my go-to sprouted grain bread, sprinkle on crunchy walnuts, cinnamon and my favorite cheese. I love tangy sharp flavors so Kerrygold’s Red Leicester was my first pick. Another favorite is the Aged Cheddar. Honestly though, I love them all!
Our local farmers market had a delightful selection of juicy apples that inspired me to create this recipe. I also made a giant pot of our favorite applesauce.
Add a drizzle of honey if you want a little more sweetness. Have fun with grilled cheese. It is a method more than a carefully measured recipe. I love coming up with unique creations. Last summer we were addicted to my Grilled Cheese Bruschetta and Strawberry Mozzarella Stuffed French Toast (which is one of my Egg Battered Grilled Cheese creations.)
You can also make this grilled cheese with two slices of bread. Adjust your ingredients according to taste and caloric preference. Obviously you can add gobs of cheese, but I like to stick to one ounce portions of cheese per serving.
If only all food producers felt the same passion as Kerrygold towards quality.
I LOVE their mission statement “There’s not much point in taking the purest rain, the most natural green grass on earth, herds of contented cows, and centuries of long-standing family traditions and messing it all up by mixing in preservatives, hormones and unnatural additives into the process.” That’s right folks. Kerrygold has high standards and it shows in their butters and cheese.
What is your favorite grilled cheese?
This giveaway has now closed. Thanks for all your entries. Congrats to Krissy and Lauren From the Little Yellow Kitchen.
Are you guys ready to make some grilled cheese? How about frittata’s, quiche, pizza, mac n’ cheese, the sky is the limit with this awesome gift pack! This gift basket includes many delicious Kerrygold butters, cheeses and two amazing cookbooks. The estimated value of the prize package is $350. Oh my, you know you wanna win this. Here is a peek what’s inside:
- 2 wedges Kerrygold Dubliner Cheese
- 2 wedges Kerrygold Swiss Cheese
- 2 wedges Kerrygold Blarney Castle Cheese
- 2 wedges Kerrygold Aged Cheddar
- 2 wedges Kerrygold Reserve Cheddar
- 2 wedges Kerrygold Red Leicester
- 2 packs Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter
- 2 packs Kerrygold Unsalted Butter
- 2 packs of Kerrygold Garlic and Herb Butter
- James Beard best cookbook of the year for 2010
- The Country Cooking of Ireland by Colman Andrews
How to Enter: This giveaway is open to residents of the USA only. Winner will be chosen by random.org. You have until Thursday, April 28th, 2011 midnight PST to enter. Please do one or more of the following to enter this contest, leave a separate comment per entry.
- Tell me what you will do with all this cheese!
- What is your favorite grilled cheese recipe?
- Follow me on Twitter @MarlaMeridith
- Follow Kerrygold on Twitter @KerrygoldUSA
- Copy and paste this tweet or make up your own: @MarlaMeridith has a HUGE @KerrygoldUSA gift basket filled with cheese, butter and 2 cookbooks $350 value. Enter to win here: http://su.pr/AawMHa
- “Like” Family Fresh Cooking on Facebook
- “Like” Kerrygold Cheese and Butter on Facebook
- Post a link back to this giveaway on your Facebook page.
- Stumble this Post
- Grab a free E-mail Subscription to this blog
- Get Family Fresh Cooking recipe updates via RSS feed
- Link to my Apple Pie Grilled cheese & this giveaway on your blog.
Apple Pie Grilled Cheese
Ingredients per sandwich
- Toasted nuts have so much more flavor. Chop your favorite nuts to the size you like, place on a cookie sheet in a single layer. Bake at 350˚F until crisp, slightly browned and fragrant, about 8-10 minutes.
- 1 or 2 slices Sprouted Grain Bread – plain or Cinnamon Raisin Bread
- small pat of salted Butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped, toasted Walnuts or Pecans
- sprinkle of Ground Cinnamon
- a handful of diced Apples – I like Pink Lady, Honey Crisp or Granny Smith
- Optional: a few drops English Toffee Stevia Drops a swirl of Honey or pure Maple Syrup
- 1 ounce Cheddar Cheese, crumbled – or your favorite cheese
- fresh apple Slices
- a sprinkle of ground Cinnamon
- more Honey, Maple Syrup or Stevia
I made this grilled cheese three ways. All were delicious.
Broiled Grilled Cheese: Set oven to a low broil with the rack on bottom 1/3 of the oven. Assemble grilled cheese on a cookie sheet. Take one slice of bread and smear a little butter on it. Press in the nuts, sprinkle on some cinnamon and drizzle honey or stevia on top of that. Top with apples and cheese. Broil about about 8-9 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned, melted and gooey. Watch carefully so it does not burn.
Baked: Pre heat oven to 350˚F with the rack in the middle. Assemble grilled cheese on a cookie sheet like above either open faced or with two pieces of bread. Heat a about 5 minutes each side until cheese is melted and gooey. If you want the top crispy & browned you can broil on low for about one minute, watch carefully so it does not burn.
Stove Top Pan Fry: Put a small pat of butter in a cast iron skillet and heat over medium heat. Assemble grilled cheese: Take one slice of bread and smear a little butter on it. Press in some nuts, sprinkle on some cinnamon and drizzle honey or stevia on top of that. Top with apples, cheese and another piece of bread. Heat on one side until lightly browned, flip and cook until the seocnd side is browned and cheese is melted.
Grilled Cheese Recipe Links
- Grilled Cheese with Fondue, Ham and Tomato Cookin’ Canuck
- Grilled Cheese and Ham Sandwich Dine and Dish
- Grilled Mac and Cheese with Pulled Pork Panini Happy
- Grilled Wine and Cheese Panini Happy
- Spicy Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwich The Hungry Birdie
Family Fresh Cooking Disclosure: I have been compensated for my time to create a recipe, photograph and review Kerrygold Cheese and Butter. I accept offers to post about products I love. I am proud to partner with Kerrygold on this project and to share them with you.