Honestly I never thought I would be posting whoopie pies on my blog. I was never a huge fan of them. Not sure why, I mean they are two cakey cookies with gobs of creamy frosting in the center. That is sure tempting. If offered a choice I go for layer cake way before a whoopie pie. Until now. These little creamy, strawberry cookie-cakes rock my world. The fabulous news – they are filled with great for you ingredients.
Is this little dessert a cake or a cookie? They are something in between. Let’s say a soft cookie sandwich that gives way to a creamy sweet frosting, filling. Nice!
I ohh and ahh whenever I look at whoopie pies online. They are really pretty and happy, plus they have that cute name and all. As most of you know, I don’t eat traditional sweets any more. They taste great, are fun to gaze upon – but they just don’t make me feel good. In true MarlaMeridith.com style I have lightened up, cut out the sugar and come up with a dang good recipe for this sweet treat, with no sacrifice in flavor.
Gluten free rice flour and finely ground corn flour create such a fabulously textured cookie. They almost melt in your mouth. The crumb is fine and yet the cookies are dense enough to stay together to make a sandwich with a sweet strawberry cream cheese filling.
Having extra strawberry sauce is always nice too. Dip your little pies in it, enjoy it over ice cream, greek yogurt or sauce up your favorite breakfast. With hints of spring everywhere and Easter around the corner I am so excited to break out the brighter colored clothes, accessories and kitschy table top goodies. How cute are these juicy colored animal cupcake toppers?
Whoopie Pie Recipe Links
- Banana Caramel Whoopie Pies Annie’s Eats
- Bunny Whoopie Pies Cooking on the Side
- Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies Tracey’s Culinary Adventures
- Chocolate Whoopie Pies Mango Tomato
- Fat Elvis Whoopie Pies Handle the Heat
- Red Velvet Whoopie Pies Brown Eyed Baker
Thanks for all of your entries. This giveaway is now closed. Congrats to Brandy from Nutmeg Nanny.
Let’s embrace the whoopie pie together, shall we? Just because I love you I am going to order a Whoopie Pies cookbook for one lucky reader. Isn’t it cute? This giveaway will close on Sunday, April 17th at midnight PST. Open to residents of the USA only. To enter please do one or more of the following and be sure to leave a separate comment per entry.
- Tell me about your favorite whoopie pies. Leave a link if you wish.
- Follow me on Twitter @MarlaMeridith
- Become a fan of MarlaMeridith.com on Facebook
- Copy and paste this tweet or make up your own: @MarlaMeridith has a giveaway copy of the “Whoopie Pies” cookbook. Enter to win here: http://su.pr/755Vbx
- Stumble this Post
- Grab a free E-mail Subscription to this blog
- Grab recipe updates via RSS feed