Sweet strawberries thrill me. Whether eaten out of hand, sliced up into creamy yogurt parfaits, stuffed into hot & melty french toast or in baked goods. Their flavor amplifies and the natural sweetness is enhanced with the addition of heat. Pure pleasure if you ask me. These snack cakes are part of the gluten free ratio rally going on with a group of food bloggers. The theme this week is quick bread.
I first learned about the idea of ratios while reading Shauna’s (Gluten Free Girl) post why we don’t use cups in our recipes. I found the idea interesting and wanted to learn more.
What are ratios? They are a neat way to figure out quantities of ingredients to be used in baking. Sort of like a puzzle, there are basic weighted measurements that combine together to form magical baked goods. Bread has flour and water so does fresh pasta. In very different ratios. Michael Ruhlman says “Ratios are the launching point for infinite variations.” Simply stated, well put.
Once you have a good understanding of ratios – baking can be a more intuitive process. You can wing it more, make your own adaptations according to what you have on hand. This is freeing and perfect for artist types like me who don’t want to get too caught up in calculated details.
The ratio for quick bread or muffins is: 2 parts flour, 2 parts liquid, 1 part egg, 1 part fat. I choose light sour cream as my fat for these cakes. Ricotta cheese or butter would probably be great too. For liquids I did half fat free milk and half light coconut milk.You could also use all of one or the other. Adjust your ingredients to what you have on hand or for flavor or dietary preference. Using ratios also makes it easy to increase your batch size too.
We love these mini strawberry loaf cakes. Stay tuned, each week there will be another theme. Participants have come up with excellent combinations and they all look wonderful. Please visit Silvana Nardone’s blog Silvana’s Kitchen for the complete list of recipes by all the rally bloggers. If you want, you can join in on the fun too.
What is your favorite quick bread recipe?
- 4 ounces (113 grams) Oat Flour + 1 tablespoon
- 4 ounces (113 grams) Corn Flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Stevia powder or drops, adjust to taste
- 2 large Eggs, whisked
- 4 ounces (113 grams) light Coconut Milk
- 4 ounces (113 grams) fat free Milk
- 4 ounces (113 grams) light Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla Extract
- 4-6 ounces sliced fresh Strawberries (add some to the top batter if you wish)
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with the rack in the middle. Prepare 3 mini loaf pans with cooking spray or parchment paper, place them on a cookie sheet. In a medium bowl whisk together dry ingredients. In another bowl mix together wet ingredients, be sure to mix until sour cream has no lumps. Combine wet and dry ingredients, mix well. Toss strawberries with 1 tablespoon oat flour. Gently fold them into the batter.
- Divide batter evenly among loaf pans. Bake about 35-40 minutes. You can rotate loaf pans if they are not baking evenly. Cakes are done baking when a wooden skewer or toothpick come out clean and crumb free.
- You can swap in any other berry, or make mixed berry cakes too.
- Remember, since this a ratio recipe you can use different flours, fats, liquids or egg replacers. Just be sure to use these ratios so your cakes bake properly.
- You can purchase Gluten Free Oat Flour or make your own by taking 1 cup of GF Old Fashioned Rolled Oats and grinding it to a powder in a food processor.
Gluten Free Strawberry Dessert Links
- Gluten Free Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream Juls’ Kitchen
- Gluten Free Strawberry Bon Bons Silvana’s Kitchen
- Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream & Strawberry Basil Macarons SoulCurry
- Strawberry Rhubarb Basil Jam Happyolks
- Strawberries and White Chocolate Passion Fruit Soups with Mixed Berry Muffins Tartelette
Gluten Free Ratio Rally Participants & Quick Bread Recipes
- Mrs. R of Honey from Flinty Rocks made Lemon Lavender Muffins with Lavender Sugar
- Alisha of GF Mostly Vegetarian made a Sweet Potato Breakfast Loaf
- Amanda of Gluten Free Maui made Classic Banana, Oat, and Pecan Quick Bread
- Amie of The Healthy Apple made Gluten-Free Agave Apricot Quick Bread
- Britt of GF In The City made Date & Walnut Bread
- Brooke of Bell Wookie made Double Chocolate Cherry Muffins
- Caleigh of Gluten Free[k] made Cardamom Banana Bread
- Caneel of Mama Me Gluten Free made Peach Poppyseed Bread
- Caroline of The G Spot Revolution made Orange Spice Bread with a Vanilla Glaze
- Claire of Gluten Freedom made Piña Colada Muffins with Coconut-Rum Glaze and Toasted Coconut
- Danna of Sweet Dees Gluten Free made Blood Orange Cardamom Muffins
- Elana of Elana’s Pantry made Almond Flour Muffins
- Erin of Mysteries Internal made Strawberry Yogurt Muffins
- Erin of The Sensitive Epicure made Chocolate Chip & Walnut Muffins with Streusel
- Flo of Makanaibio made gluten-free muffins
- Gretchen of Kumquat made a Gingerbread Fig Loaf
- Irvin of Eat the Love made Meyer Lemon Muffins with Slow-Roasted Balsamic Red Wine Strawberry Jam
- Jenn of Jenn Cuisine made Chestnut and Chocolate Quickbread
- Karen of Cooking Gluten Free made muffins
- Kate of Kate Alice Cookbook made Raspberry Banana Crumble-Top Muffins
- Kate of Gluten Free Gobsmacked made Mocha and Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Lauren of Celiac Teen made a Cocoa Quickbread
- Lisa of Gluten Free Canteen made Almond Cherry Berry Banana Muffins, Gluten Free
- Lisa of With Style and Grace made a Rosemary Lemon Quick Bread
- Marla of MarlaMeridith.com made Sweet Strawberry Snack Cakes
- Mary Frances of the Gluten Free Cooking School made Cranberry Orange Bread with Cream Cheese Icing
- Meaghan of The Wicked Good Vegan made Vegan Gluten-Free Apricot-Orange Bread
- Melanie of Mindful Food made Almond Joy Muffins
- Nannette of Nannette Raw made Chai Muffins
- Robyn of Chocswirl made Brown Butter Apple Spice Muffins with Pecan Nut Streusel
- Shauna of Gluten Free Girl made Gluten Free Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- Silvana of Silvana’s Kitchen made Chocolate-Coated Marshmallow-Topped Vanilla Cupcakes
- Tara of A Baking Life made Caramelized Banana Bread with Pecan Streusel
- Wendy of La Phemme Phoodie made Cheesy Apple Butter Bread with Garlic Powder
- Winnie of Healthy Green Kitchen made Banana Bread