Can I tell you how happy carrot cake makes me? Especially when it has little Peter Rabbit bunnies and friends popping out of billowy cream cheese frosting clouds. Lately my kids have been all about Beatrix Potter stories, so when I saw these darling cupcake liners and novelty toppers I had to go for it. Just in time for bunny rabbit Easter celebrations too!
I love carrot cake. I love it more with lightly sweetened whipped cream cheese. At first I had named these “double” carrot cake cupcakes. “Double” because first I roasted the carrots in butter. That little bit of caramelization boosts the carrot flavor in awesome ways. Half of those carrots I puréed with milk. They other half I dice into fine little pieces. The batter is infused with the puree and the chunky pieces add a little something more.
You can also top your little cakes with Homemade Whipped Cream.
Could these illustrations be any more beautiful? The animals are softly drawn and are so very sweet. Makes me want to head out to the garden with a sketch pad. If only little animals could scurry around in vintage clothing carrying parasols!
I was not sure whether to name these cupcakes or muffins. They look like cupcakes, but have more of the whole food ingredients of a muffin. So I went with cupcakes because that implies more of a celebration.
Lucky you (and me) these cupcake/muffins can be enjoyed anytime of day. They are packed with protein (yogurt, egg, milk and cream cheese) the perfect amount of fat (a little butter and the cream cheese goes a long way.) And gobs of good for you gluten free whole grains (oats and corn.)
I should have brought some of these cupcakes to my friend Averie the other day at our meet-up at Starbucks. Sorry Averie, they were gone shortly after I baked them. Next time OK?! Averie and I have a hoot of a time when we get together for our monthly chit chats. It is cool having an amazing blogger girl friend close by to talk shop and everything else. There is a whole lot of “everything else!” Averie’s blog is Love Veggies and Yoga. She teaches me cool things about life. Always.
What is your favorite carrot cake recipe?
- 3 large Carrots, cleaned peeled, sliced and roasted (should yield 1 cup after roasting)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted Butter, melted and divided
- 1 cup fat free Milk
- 1 large Egg, whisked
- 1/2 cup fat free Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 cup gluten free Oat Flour plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup gluten free Corn Flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine Sea Salt
- 3/4 - 1 teaspoon Stevia Powder or adjust sweetness to taste
- 8 ounces low fat whipped Cream Cheese -or- 1 pint heavy Whipping Cream
- Vanilla Stevia Drops to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F with the rack in the middle. Clean, peel and slice carrots into chunky pieces about 1 inch long. Toss carrots with 1 tablespoon melted butter and a pinch of salt. Bake for about 20 minutes or until carrots are soft and lightly browned. Set aside. Measure out two half cup portions.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Prepare a standard size muffin pan with liners. Purée a half cup of the carrots in a blender with the milk. Finely dice the rest of the carrots and toss with 1 tablespoon of oat flour. In a medium bowl combine the other tablespoon of melted butter, carrot purée, Greek yogurt and applesauce and egg. In another bowl whisk together dry ingredients. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix together well. Gently fold in diced carrots. Taste batter to make sure it is sweetened to your liking. Scoop batter into muffin cups leaving a little room at the top. Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until a tooth pick comes our crumb free.
- Stir vanilla stevia drops into whipped cream cheese. Sweeten to taste. Alternatively you can frost these cupcakes with whipped cream. Whip cream in a stand mixer and sweeten to taste. Pipe onto cupcakes. Find a recipe for homemade whipped cream right here.
Carrot Cake Recipe Links
- Carrot Cake Cookies The Craving Chronicles
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting Deliciously Organic
- Carrot Ginger Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting Cookin’ Canuck
- Pumpkin Carrot Cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting Nestle Kitchens
- Whole Grain Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf with Lemon Glaze Oh She Glows