In the next few weeks there is a whirl wind of activity for parents and kids. Even if you do not have children you might be sucked into the vortex of Back to School. Everywhere you go might seem a little more busy and frantic as parents and kids scramble for school suppliesand the perfect Lunch Box.
I am a huge advocate of packing homemade, healthy & delicious foods for “to-go” meals. I support Jaimie Oliver’s initiative to get our kids eating healthy whole foods in and out of the home. Packing a lunch box is the best practice for adults too if we spend our days out of the house.
My daughter is finally eligible for the Hot Lunch Program at school. My intention all along has been to send her with home cooked meals. I took a gander at the online ordering station only to be left in a state of shock. The meal choices were not organic, they were filled with sugar & salt. Many of the items are sourced from fast food establishments. That “food” is not going in my body nor is it going in my kids.
Not only should we have tasty meals made in our home kitchen, we need the perfect portable container. I am a HUGE fan of the Easy Lunchbox system. It is a creation by my great friend Kelly & the best lunchbox I have found so far.
I like it so much that I decided to become an affiliate to help all of us make the right choices. (You might recognize the badge above from my sidebar.) Consider me your personal shopper. As a food blogger and foodie I get to try lots of stuff. I pass my favorites on to you! What makes this my favorite? A few things:
- These lunchboxes are inexpensive & very high quality.
- They are free of yucky BPA’s, PVC’s etc.
- Each container set comes with 4 dishwasher/microwave safe containers.
- The containers have 4 compartments to keep foods from blending together.
- The lunchcooler bag has extra room for other goodies & your drink.
- The system encourages simple, quick & easy meal assembly for folks on the go!
For those of you that want to place an order asap you can do so right here.
Lunch Box Checklist
There is nothing more annoying for parents than opening their kids lunch box at the end of the day to find small bites taken and the majority of the food left over. I share some of our favorite lunch box recipes in this post. I am constantly coming up with new ideas and would love your input, questions and suggestions.
Here are some essential lunch box practices that work for us:
- Be prepared: The better prepared you are in a pinch the smoother & quicker your lunchbox creations can be made.
- Prep & chop food ahead of time: Never right before you head out the door. Have containers of cleaned fresh veggies and fruits at the ready.
- Leftovers Rule! Dinner from the night before is always a great lunch box meal.
- Buy for the week: When you shop make sure you have enough for the week so you don’t have to get back to the store every minute.
- Healthy choices = healthy bodies and minds. Clean & healthy, low glycemic whole foods feed our bodies and minds with the nutrients they need.
- Remember Balance: Create balanced meals that help to sustain energy levels. Lean proteins, healthy whole grains, healthy fats, fresh fruits and veggies should all be packed in the box.
- Don’t forget snacks & mini-meals Not only should we pack our lunch, be sure to pack one or two healthy snacks too to prevent energy crashes and starvation from hitting throughout the day.
Our Favorite Lunch Box Food
- Almond Crusted Chicken Strips
- Coconut Oat Chicken Nuggets
- Crab Salad
- Egg Battered Grilled Cheese
- Fiesta Pasta
- Pasta with Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce and Chicken
- Rice Bowls
- Sushi Rolls
- Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- Turkey Meatloaf
- Wrap Sandwiches
- Fresh cut Fruit or Berries
- Cranberry Pear Applesauce
Snacks & Mini Meals
- Cheddar Cheese Goldfish Crackers
- Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas
- Gluten Free Maple Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- Kale Chips
- Maple Ginger Whole Grain Scones
- No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peach Pie Enchiladas
- Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Toasted Sunflower Seed Honey Granola Bars
- Yogurt Parfait
- Good old fashioned H2O = Water
Easy LunchBoxes Giveaway
This giveaway is now closed. Thanks so much for all of your entries and great comments. I will be hosting fun giveaways regularly. The winner is: Kim from Rustic Garden Bistro. Congrats! Enjoy your EasyLunchbox.
If you would like to win an Easy Lunchbox System here is all you need to do. Please be sure to leave a separate comment per entry.
- Leave a comment on this post telling me what is your favorite thing to pack in your lunch box.
- For additional entries become a fan of MarlaMeridith.com on Facebook.
- Follow me on Twitter @MarlaMeridith.
*If you prefer not to be included in this giveaway, just say so in your comment.
This giveaway is open to citizens of the USA only. Contest will close on Monday August 30th at 12am PST. Winner will be chosen at random.org
Helpful Lunchbox Links
- How to Pack a Quick and Healthy Lunchbox MarlaMeridith.com
- Kid Friendly Meals: It’s all About Packaging Simple Good and Tasty
- Back to School Lunch IdeasDeliciously Organic
- Meal Planning for School Daze Life as Mom
- Lunch Making Hints and Tips Easy Lunchbox.com
- The Only Back to School Post You’ll Need One Hungry Mama
- 5 Ways to Feed Your School Kid Food with Kid Appeal