I cannot believe summer is winding down and the kids are heading back to school. Sounds like most of us have been busier than we ever could have imagined. “Down time” these days is filled with work and play but not so much relaxation. This guacamole salsa recipe is for the last week of Summer Fest. Hopefully it will help you unwind and taste all the flavors of the season. Creamy avocado mixed with ripe juicy tomatoes and smoky bacon. What more could you ask for?
The past 5 weeks it has been so fun to participate in this fun fest. I have met new friends and gotten to know some great blogs. Our recipe adventures have covered Corn, Zucchini, Stone Fruit, Herbs & this week Tomatoes. For me salsa is the best condiment, sauce & dip. That is probably why I chose it for two out of the five Summer Fest recipes I created.
This salsa requires minimal effort. Collect your ingredients, chop and voila, your fresh guacamole salsa is ready. I went with nitrate free organic turkey bacon…..’cause that’s how I roll. Applegate Farms has a great line of organic nitrate free products. By the way looks like they just changed their logo, what do you guys think?
I picked up these juicy ripe tomatoes at the farmer’s market in Telluride. The colors of the hot peppers & tomatoes were breathtaking!
My kids had so much fun playing photographers & food stylists. My daughter got all excited when she got the lighting right. I love watching them shine with creativity & giggle with joy.
It was hard to convince them to keep their hands off the bacon.
My all time favorite meal is grilled salmon or trout with a heaping side of veggies, topped with large quantities of salsa. In Telluride I spoil us with Steelhead Trout regularly. The tomatoes, avocado & bacon accompany it perfectly.
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 vine ripe Tomato, dice and remove seeds
- 2-4 cloves diced roasted Garlic (I threw a head of garlic on a medium high grill for 10 minutes wrapped in foil)
- 1/4 cup diced Green Onion
- 4 slices Turkey Bacon, browned & sliced small (or your favorite Pork Bacon)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Cilantro
- 1 Avocado, diced
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- season to taste with: Salt, Black Pepper, Smoked Paprika
- for some heat and spice add some finely diced Serrano or Jalapéno pepper
- Brown bacon in pan on medium high heat. Let cool. Clean and chop all veggies and bacon. Mix all ingredients together, combining well. Add avocado last so it doesn't get all mushy. Season to taste. Garnish with extra cilantro if desired.
- Store briefly in an airtight container with plastic wrap firmly against the mixture so the avocado does not brown.
Salsa Recipe Links