How is your Thanksgiving planning going? Are you cooking for a large group, small gathering or going to your favorite restaurant? Whether or not you are hosting Thanksgiving you will need to try these brussels sprouts.
Whether or not you like sprouts these will convert you into a sprouts lover.
Many people get turned off from brussels sprouts early on. Sure they can be bitter and tasteless if not prepared correctly.
My recipe will transform the pickiest sprout people. I have served this many times to doubtful guests who have been transformed into brussels sprouts lovers. Really.
What makes them so fabulous and different is making sure to slice the sprouts super thin.
Of course, you cannot go wrong with feta cheese, pecans and smoked paprika thrown into the mix.
With my savories I often like a hint of sweetness, a nice pop from pomegranate seeds, dried cranberries, golden raisins or in this case goji berries is a nice flavor twist.
I have been meaning to post this recipe for a few years and it has always gotten bookmarked for “the right time.”
Happily the time is now and hopefully you get to enjoy this recipe at your holiday table or any time at all!
What is your favorite way to prepare brussels sprouts?
What other veggie side dishes do you enjoy this time of year?
- 2 lbs Brussels Sprouts, cleaned, remove tough stem & slice into small pieces
- Olive Oil
- 2 Shallots, diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, diced
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Mustard Seed
- a few pinches Sea Salt
- a few pinches Black Pepper
- a few pinches Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup roasted Pecans, chopped
- juice from 1 Lemon (1 tablespoon)
- 2 ounces crumbled Feta Cheese, plus more for topping
- handful Dried Cranberries, Goji Berries or Raisins.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium with a good splash of olive oil, shallots and garlic. Soften them about a minute and add brussels sprouts and 2 tablespoons of water. Toss sprouts with shallots and seasonings, there should be enough oil for them to glisten. If not, add more. Increase heat to medium high and cook for about 10 minutes until sprouts are sizzling, bright green and cooked through. Add lemon juice and another splash of water of needed. Stir mixture frequently.
- Remove from heat, fold in nuts and some feta. Transfer to a serving platter and top with more nuts, feta cheese and dried cranberries, goji berries or raisins.
- To roast nuts all you need to do is preheat the oven to 350 F. Arrange nuts on a baking pan in a single layer and bake for about 10 minutes until fragrant.
Brussels Sprouts Recipe Links
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Hazelnuts Alaska from Scratch
- Crunchy Brussels Sprouts Salad Citron Limette
- Easy Roasted Brussels Sprouts A Food Centric Life
- Honey, Pomegranate Glazed Brussels Sprouts Simple Bites
- Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts Cooking for Seven
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon MarlaMeridith.com