I know we are all crazy busy getting ready for the holidays. I wanted to share one last recipe post before Santa makes his way down the chimney. I was recently asked to bake 48 homemade cookies for the annual tree lighting ceremony at my kids school.
Everyone’s go-to cookie is chocolate chip, so I decided to do a playful twist on the classic.
These Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Cookies make the perfect dunker for your morning coffee or steamy cup of hot chocolate.
These cookies have a firm texture which means they will stay in one place when you dunk ’em. The cream cheese adds a bit of a tangy flavor versus an all butter cookie. A friend said they are a cross between a butter cookie & rugelach.
I used light Muscovado brown sugar. I love the sweetness and molasses flavor that natural sugar adds to baked treats. These cookies are not very sweet, simply add more chocolate chips if you prefer a sweeter cookie.
I also used white whole wheat pastry flour. These ingredients make this cookie taste a bit more wholesome than the traditional cookie with white sugar & flour. I let the dough chill in the fridge overnight. This helps the flavors develop & intensify.
If you are up for something new then I suggest you try these cookies. Make ’em as big or small as you want. I had to get 48 cookies out of this batter, so I went really small.
They were super fun to decorate too. Go with seasonal colors for whatever holiday you are celebrating. Blue & white would be perfect for Hanukkah. You can go red, pink & white for Valentines Day.
What cookies are you baking for Christmas? Do you participate in a cookie exchange?
- Add some butterscotch, peanut butter chips or cinnamon chips.
- I like bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate chips, you can also use milk chocolate or white chocolate chips.
- Mint chocolate chips would be great too!
- Add a handful of dried cranberries, chopped apricots, dates or raisins to the batter.
- Add a handful of chopped toasted nuts to the batter. Pecans, walnuts, peanuts, hazelnuts, pistachio, almonds, etc.
Cream Cheese Cookies Recipe Links
- Avocado Cream Cheese Cookies Angie’s Recipes
- Coconut Cream Cheese Cookies Vanilla Sugar
- Cream Cheese Cookies Caffeina
- Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies Sugar Crafter
- Creme de Menthe Cream Cheese Cookies Sweet Treats and More
- Jam Filled Cream Cheese Cookies Culinary Covers
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Cookies Use Real Butter