Creamy Banana Blueberry Milkshakes
July 25, 2011
I hope you guys love milkshakes as much as we do. With the steamy summer days that have been sweeping the USA a little relief from a creamy dreamy shake would be nice huh! Take out your favorite magazines, set up the kiddie pool pull up a lounge chair and let’s have some shakes…..
Recently via my friend Barbara from the blog Creative Culinary brought my attention to a fun food event called Goaterie. “A group of people with shared interests in goat.” One eyebrow raised. And then the other. Time to get my goat on. I have always been a big fan of goat cheese, my Berry Goat Cheese Pizzas are proof of that. It was time to experiment with more….much more.
The frozen bananas blended with milk, in this case goats milk tastes like rich half melted ice cream. Amazing. If you are vegan go with coconut milk, almond or rice milk.
To up the ante I made a blueberry sauce. Pour some in the middle of the shake and then even more on top. Yes, more + more = heaven. I can’t seem to get enough fruity sauces in my world. Chocolate sauce isn’t bad either.
There was something very special about this shake that goes beyond the delicious taste. It was the first time I used a big girl blender. A big, high power kitchen appliance that I knew I wanted and now finally own. It sits like a big trophy in my kitchen. Blendtec reached out to me recently and offered to send me one of their can do anything blenders.
How could I refuse?
I first puréed the blueberry sauce and then the frozen bananas some ice and the goats milk. The ice blended so perfectly, not a misplaced chunk to be found. It was as if the best coffee shop or juice bar on the planet made me a shake. But I did it myself! Do you like shakes? Love ’em? What is your favorite kind of milkshake?
Creamy Banana Blueberry Milkshakes
- Feel free to experiment with any fruit combinations. The frozen bananas make this shake extra creamy.
- Add any spices to taste. Pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. would all be great choices.
- Instead of goats milk you can use any milk or yogurt you have on hand. Coconut milk would be awesome in this.
- I have you make a lot of blueberry sauce here, much more than you will need for two shakes. You will be happy I had you do this. We use it over pancakes, parfaits, pudding and love to eat it with a spoon. It stores well in the fridge when packed in an airtight container. For long term storage you can freeze it.
- 11 ounces fresh or frozen Blueberries
- 2 frozen Bananas
- 8 ounces of Goats Milk or any dairy or vegan milk
- 1-4 to 1/2 dropper of Vanilla Stevia Drops (this will depend upon how ripe/sweet your fruit is) or your favorite natural sweetener to taste
- 4 ounces Ice Cubes
- fresh Blueberries for topping
- some ground spice, I used a dash of Ginger in these shakes
Blueberry Sauce: Put blueberries and a few teaspoons of water in a sauce pan. Heat over medium high heat until boiling. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 6 minutes until berries have burst. Let cool a bit and then purée in your blender. Taste the sauce and add any sweetener if desired.
Milkshake: In a clean blender add milk, banana and ice in that order for the best results. Blend your shake until it is nice and creamy. Taste to see if it is sweet enough. If you are using any spice add it now.
Shake Assembly: Fill a tall glass half way with banana shake, add a few spoonfuls of blueberry sauce, top with more shake. Add more sauce or fresh blueberries if desired.
Looking for more ways to use that Blueberry Sauce?
- Champagne Vanilla Pudding with Berry Sauce
- Coconut Corn Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce – Gluten Free
- Mixed Berry Yogurt Parfaits
- Very Blueberry Layer Cake – Gluten Free
Milkshake Recipe Links
- Blueberry Crumb Pie MilekShake Food Plus Words
- Creamy Orange Milkshake Dine and Dish
- Thick Strawberry Milkshake Someday Spoon
- Toasted Marshmallow Milkshake Tracey’s Culinary Adventures
- Vegan Peach Cobbler Milkshake munchkin with munchkin
- Vegan Vanilla Milkshake Colourful Palate