There is nothing like a Big Batch of fresh garden veggie soup at the ready. You can serve it to your family in a pinch. What I love most about this soup is there is a few servings of veggies in each delicious bowl. This soup is yummy served piping hot, warm or even cold. That makes it a nice choice for entertaining guests too.
Top this soup with light sour cream, non fat greek yogurt and even a few spoonfuls of your favorite salsa. I add chunks of chicken breast or lean chicken sausage to my bowl to make a full meal. My kids like little pieces of firm tofu thrown in. You really can’t go wrong with a fresh bowl of puréed veggie soup. An added bonus….a big batch will last you a few days. The flavors get even better after 24 hours.
- 1 cup chopped Onion
- a few chopped Garlic Cloves
- pinch of Salt
- pinch of Curry Powder
- Ground Black Pepper
- Bunch of Carrots coarsely chopped
- 4 Zucchini (about 1.5 pounds) coarsely chopped
- a few Celery Stalks coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups Vegetable Broth (or Chicken Broth) vary amount depending on how thick you want your soup
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add onions, garlic, salt pepper and curry powder. Reduce heat to medium and cook mixture until fragrant and slightly browned about 10 minutes. Add zucchini & carrots. Stir into onion mixture and cook for about 10-15 minutes until veggies are softened a bit. Add 1 1/2 cups of broth and bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Reserve the additional 1/2 cup of broth. Take pot off heat and let soup cool a bit. Put soup in a food processor or blender and purée until desired thickness is achieved. You can add the additional broth or water to thin out your soup if desired.
- Top with fresh herbs, non fat yogurt, low fat sour cream or salsa
Vegetable Soup Recipe Links