Apparently I have a thing for rainbows. Two recipes in the past week have been rainbow-y. Last week it was a Roasted Rainbow Carrot Tart (a sweet, delicious tart ~ have you tried it yet?)
Today we eat the colors of the rainbow in a soup chock full of chicken and vegetables!
I make this soup often, especially in the cooler months. It is my dads favorite, so when he comes to visit I’m sure to have a pot bubbling away on the stove.
Whenever I cook this for my parents ~ my dad begs my mom to make soup exactly like this back where they live in NY.
She rolls her eyes and says to my dad “you LOVE my chicken soup ~ but OK ~ Marla send us the recipe.”
This exchange has been going on for about 4 years now. I sense some jealousy but we won’t get into that.
Why has it taken me sooooo long to post this recipe? Quite frankly I just add all the ingredients to a large soup pot, season to taste and never measure anything. It is usually gone that night or by the next day without a chance to photograph it.
Mom, dad and blog pals ~ here it is finally.
The simplest chicken soup you will ever make! Grab as many colorful veggies as you can. No stress. Fuss free.
I like mine with just veggies, chicken and a big hunk of cheese on the side.
My kids, hubs and dad like heaps of noodles in theirs.
Have fun with the vegetables you use. Choose your favorites.
Sometimes I use regular potatoes, in this case sweet potatoes. Sometimes spinach, sometimes kale.
Most of the time I use fresh dill, there was none in the store so bright flavored cilantro was a great alternative.
Here in Telluride food availability can be slim pickins at times, so I need to make quick adaptations to some of my ingredients.
Change is good though right?!
There is nothin’ like coming into a warming bowl of soup after a long day of winters play in the fluffy white snow!
- 1 pound Chicken Breast (cut into bite sized pieces)
- Olive Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves, diced
- 1 Red Onion, chopped
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 1 bunch Rainbow Carrots
- 8 cups Low Salt Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1 bunch Kale, tear into pieces remove ribs
- a few handfuls Cilantro
- Black Pepper
- Green Onion, finely sliced
- Trim zucchini and carrots into bite sized pieces. Pierce sweet potato with a sharp knife several times. Microwave 5 minutes to soften. Cut into bite sized pieces. Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add garlic & onion, cook about 5 minutes to soften. Add chicken and brown for about 5-6 minutes. Add zucchini, carrots and sweet potato (not kale). Cook another 3 minutes. Add broth to the pot. Bring to a boil, add kale and handful of cilantro. Simmer with a lid for about 20 minutes or until all the veggies are tender. Season with pepper. Top with sliced green onion.
Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe Links