In this post I am not just sharing a recipe for an Egg & Cheese Scramble. There is so much more than what meets the eye. I have been wishing for so long to write this post. There is an amazing feeling that happens when someone I know & love has great success. As children success might be learning to walk, kick a ball & run like the wind. As adults, the idea of achievements gets a bit more complex. We strive for more in our personal & professional lives. We need to, we are adults after all. My friend Carrie Vitt has found great success in her gorgeous new book titled Deliciously Organic.
I met Carrie last year at a photography workshop in Los Angeles taught by photography darling miss Helen DuJardin aka Tartelette. Both of these women epitomize success. They radiate beauty both in & out. I happily call them friends & they always inspire me to be my best. Helen did all of the photography for this book. Each picture is a treat to gaze upon.
Sometimes we need to go back to the basics to re-group & get it right. Carrie makes cooking whole food meals at home accessible using the best most natural, organic ingredients. Facing health struggles a few years back she opted to make many changes in her diet to see if she could get well. Swapping all of her foods over to organic helped her overcome many health obstacles. Today she is one of the most energetic friends I know! We kept each other more than busy as roomies at Food Blogger Camp.
In Deliciously Organic Carrie shows us how to create & cook with a bounty of organics. What I love most is how simple & easy the recipes are. They are forgiving for the new cook & easily adaptable for anyone’s taste buds. A seasoned cook will welcome Carries ease & elegance. Her ingredient choices and combinations are full of flavor, classic, tried and true. A few recipes I can’t wait to try are: Gingerbread Pancakes, Napa Chicken Salad & Roasted Jalapeño Hamburgers.
If you have a moment please visit The Creative Mama blog where I have a guest post called Daily Benchmarks Through Food.
What is your favorite recipe for scrambled eggs?
This recipe is inspired by “Cheesy Scrambled Eggs with Mushrooms” from Deliciously Organic cookbook
- 4 Whole Wheat Lavash, Corn or Whole Wheat Tortillas
- 4 large Eggs
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1 tablespoon Heavy Cream
- 8 ounces Crimini Mushrooms, sliced
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- splash of Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan Cheese
- pinch of Smoked Paprika
- pinch of Cracked Black Pepper
- Salsa for dipping
- Butter, Cream Cheese, Sour Cream or fat free Greek Yogurt for spreading on Lavash, Tortilla or Bread
- garnish with a handful of finely chopped Chives or Green Onions
- Pre heat oven to 350 F with rack in the middle. Put the lavash or tortillas in a oven proof baking dish, cover and heat until warm about 10 minutes. Alternatively you could make whole wheat toast.
- Gently whisk eggs and cream together in a large bowl.
- Put olive oil & garlic in a non stick skillet. Heat over medium heat for a few minutes until garlic softens a bit. Add mushrooms, smoked paprika and black pepper to the skillet. Cook about 5 minutes until mushrooms are softened & flavors have combined. Divide mixture - place 1/2 of the mushrooms in a heat safe bowl and set aside.
- Add eggs and cheese to the pan with the mushrooms that remain. Increase heat to medium high and continuously stir with a spatula until eggs are cooked to your liking, about 1-2 minutes. Season with sea salt and additional smoked paprika & pepper if desired.
- For stacks: Layer eggs and fat free greek yogurt in between flat pieces of lavash or tortillas. You can also make them wrap/burrito style by simply rolling them up to form a hand held meal. Add some of the extra sautéed mushrooms in the layers or wrap, garnish with chives.
- Any cheese you have on hand would be great in this scramble. Goat cheese, Feta, Gruyére, Cojita, etc would all be delicious.
- Try wild mushrooms or Shitake, a mushroom medley would be amazing in this scramble.
- Serve with tortillas, lavash, brown rice or whole wheat toast.
- Serve with a side salad & your favorite salsa.
Scrambled Egg Recipe Links
- Anda Burji (Scramble with Onions & South Indian Spices) Honey, What’s Cooking?
- Eggs and Potatoes Bite Sized
- Gordon Ramsay’s Perfect Scrambled Eggs Evan’s Kitchen Ramblings
- Soft Scrambled Eggs with Ricotta and Chives Bipolar Bon Vivant
- Softly Scrambled Eggs with Chives Fresh Tart
Links to Deliciously Organic Review Posts
- Dishin’ in the Kitchen Interview with Carrie Vitt
- Good Life Eats Butternut Squash, Pomegranate & Roquefort Salad
- Food For My Family Game Day Chicken Wings
- Haute Box A Deliciously Organic Must-Have
- Organic Spark Deliciously Organic by Carrie Vitt
- Recipe Girl Banana Bread
- Reluctant Entertainer Good Enough to be Dessert: Carrot Soufflé
- Savoring the Thyme Gingerbread Pancakes
- Tartlette Pecan Coconut Cherry Granola
- The Urban Baker Carrot Souffle
- Two Peas and Their Pod Roasted Red Onion and Pear Salad
- What’s Cooking with Kids Black Olive Pesto Dip
- What’s Gaby Cooking Organic Chocolate Chip Cookies
MarlaMeridith.com Full Disclosure: I received a review copy of the book Deliciously Organic. It was my choice and pleasure to review it.