If you like potato skins (and I have not found too many folks who do not) then chances are you will love this Sweet Potatoes with Blue Cheese & Bacon recipe. With healthy New Years resolutions, not much can beat the sweet potato in both nutrients & flavor. The small amount of fat from the cheese & bacon add tons of flavor. Fat from natural sources satisfies & keeps us from binging on the wrong stuff later in the day. Portion control is the main thing we need to shoot for to reach healthy weight goals. Not deprivation. That leads to disaster.
I suggest you make a big batch. These are great as party or anytime appetizers. Keep a bunch in the fridge for grab & go snacks. They are also wonderful over salads and with your favorite protein & veggies.
These have all the flavor of heavier, more traditional potato skins – but they are jammed packed with vitamins, minerals & beta carotene. Just the edges of these trimmed sweet potatoes have the skin on them so you get just a little skin & a lot of the sweetness from the potato in each bite. They are great straight out of the oven, but they can also be made ahead and re-heated for entertaining & quick meals.
Chives, blue cheese and bacon are the perfect partners. Whether you use turkey bacon, pork or even vegetarian bacon you can get all the smoky flavor. No blue cheese on hand? No worries, simply substitute with cheddar, gruyere, shaved parmesan, gorgonzola, goat cheese, monterey jack or any other of your favorites. When it comes to cheese taste preference & availability makes it an easily adaptable ingredient.
- Change up the seasoning of your sweet potatoes with Curry Powder, Chinese Five Spice, Chili Powder, Basil, Rosemary, Cajun Seasonings or whatever you choose.
- As mentioned above, if desired you can replace the blue cheese with your favorite cheese.
Sweet Potato Skins Recipe Links
- Loaded Sweet Potato Skins Cake, Batter and Bowl
- Savory Sweet Potato Skins How Sweet Eats
- Sizzling Sweet Potato Skins Zesty Cook
- Southwest Sweet Potato Skins Naturally Ella