This is a simple, cooling, yummy salad. I use the small, dense Persian Cucumbers. They have a nice firm texture and bite to them. Cucumber and Asian seasonings are always a great pair!
Sesame Soy Cucumber Salad
(4 to 6 servings)
6 or so Persian Cucumbers (If you cannot find these you can use a few regular cucumbers, scrape out the seeds if you wish and cut into small bite sized pieces.)
1 Tbs. Toasted Sesame Oil
2 Tbs. Rice Wine Vinegar
2 Tbs. Soy Sauce (I usually use a light soy sauce with less salt.)
A sprinkle of Garlic Powder
Black or White Pepper to taste
A few Tablespoons of dried Seaweed Flakes or Japanese Rice Seasoning, aka: Furikake (this is a dried seasoning blend with shaved bonito, sesame, seaweed and soy, there are many varieties. Look for Furikake with no MSG))
- Cut cucumbers into desired shape
- Combine Sesame Oil, Rice Vinegar, Soy Sauce, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Seaweed and other seasonings in medium bowl
- Add Cucumbers and coat well with dressing
Fresh Serving Suggestions:
- Serve this salad alongside any Protein Choice. Steamed, grilled or sauteed Salmon, Halibut, Tilapia, etc…..Sauteed Scallops, cooked Shrimp, Grilled Lemon Garlic Chicken, Lean Sirloin, Sauteed Tofu or Tempeh, or Sushi Rolls.
- For Carbs you could do Brown Rice, Whole Wheat Pasta, Quinoa, etc..
- Add some Healthy Fat to your meal! Chopped nuts, Extra Sesame Seeds, a little more Toasted Sesame Oil, Avocado slices
Here is my Lunchbox which includes:
Sesame Soy Cucumber Salad, Shredded Grilled Lemon Garlic Chicken, Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, whole wheat pasta and topped with cilantro. This is a super yummy, energy building post-workout lunch!