Two of the most amazing words ever spoken….Spaghetti and Meatballs.
This is the ultimate comfort food for many folks ~ including me! Let’s get cooking…
I am short on words & time this morning. Lots to do as I depart for travels to Montana this Wednesday.
You know that feeling when you don’t want to forget anything & you obsess?
That’s what lists are for I suppose. Must start a list.
Now that the weather is a bit cooler this is the meal that will comfort us on pretty fall days ~ blustery winter days & everything in between.
Look who came to visit us yesterday….I have a thing for posting the local wildlife. Hope you enjoy the little peeks.
Grated cheese is essential for spaghetti & meatballs…
You can use ground beef, bison, turkey to ground chicken for your meatballs. All are great! Notice how I made ’em small?
They are bite sized and they cook really quickly.
- 8-10 fresh Tomatoes (I like Vine Ripened or Plum varieties)
- 1/2 medium Onion, diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- Olive Oil
- cracked Black Pepper
- pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Basil
- 1 pound ground Beef or Bison (Turkey & ground Chicken good too!)
- dried, diced Minced Onion
- Garlic Salt
- Black Pepper
- Parsley Flakes
- 1 pound Spaghetti
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Have a large bowl with ice water ready. Score each tomato with an "X" on the bottom. Boil the tomatoes for 45-60 seconds and plunge them in the ice bath. They should be easy to peel with a paring knife or your fingers.
- For a smoother sauce: roughly chop tomatoes and pulse in a food processor for until they reach the consistency you like. For a chunky sauce, skip the processor and simply roughly chop the tomatoes.
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven heat garlic & onion with olive oil over medium heat until golden brown & softened. Add the tomatoes and simmer 30-90 minutes until desired consistency has been reached. Stir occasionally throughout cook time. Season to taste. You can puree one more time in the food processor if you want it completely smooth.
- Add the meatballs the last 5 minutes of cook time. Garnish with fresh basil and cheese.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F with the rack in the middle. In a bowl combine meat with seasonings (I don't measure, just sprinkle some on top.) Combine all ingredients with your hands. Shape into mini meatballs, about 1 inch in diameter. Lay the meatballs on a Silpat covered cookie sheet. Bake for about 15-20 minutes until nicely browned.
- Serve over spaghetti with grated cheese.
Spaghetti & Meatballs Recipe Links
- Filipino Spaghetti and Meatballs Jun-Blog
- Spaghetti & Meatballs Cooking Classy
- Spaghetti & Meatballs Family Style Food
- Spaghetti and Meatballs Frittata Scratching Canvas
- Spicy Italian Meatballs Keely Marie
- Spicy Tomato & Red Wine Meatballs with Spaghetti Fuss Free Cooking