I have to let you guys in on a little secret….even when I travel I stay on my game when it comes to food. Eating right at all times makes me feel great and there is no exceptions to that rule. I am a huge fan of breakfast and couldn’t imagine skipping my favorite meal of the day. I travel often and always pack these oatmeal packets, one baggie per day. Not only do I wake up before most hotels turn on their ovens (4am) but I don’t want to spend the money on room service eating mushy $20 oatmeal.
If you are traveling with your kids, then this is a convenient way to have breakfast at the ready. There is no need to spend gobs of money on room service or drag everyone out to find a restaurant. With jet lag and wacky sleep schedules you can rest assured that bellies will get fed when they need it most when you BYOO – Bring Your Own Oatmeal.
It is a guarantee that I wake up starving. I agree with all the nutritionists that say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. After hours of sleep our bodies need a good boost of fuel to kick start the day. I would never deprive myself of a nourishing and tasty hot breakfast. I look forward to each and every one of my 6 meals a day.
My travel oatmeal is a lean, hearty combo of whole grain carbs, dried fruit, protein (powdered egg whites) nuts, cinnamon, a dash of salt and a packet of stevia powder. That is all there is to it. I pre-measure all the ingredients for each travel pack with my digital kitchen scale.
With the hotel coffee maker I am in business. Before I brew my coffee I run water through the coffee maker and voila, boiling hot water to make my oatmeal.While my oatmeal steeps, large quantities of coffee are made. Breakfast is served. On my terms.
I was invited by the folks at Truvia® to be a panelist on their Twitter party this coming Thursday night at 6:30-7:30 PST. I hope you can join us over there. The super cute and talented pastry chef Marisa Churchill will be over there talking about her new book Sweet & Skinny. The recipes in the book will wow you with low fat, healthier dessert options that don’t skimp on flavor. But they will help you get into that skimpy bikini.
Many of my readers call me “the stevia queen” so what better than to be a part of this fun Twitter party. The hashtag for the event is #SweetandSkinny and you can follow along on Tweetgrid.
From cakes to cookies, oatmeal, french toast, muffins and pancakes. My sweetener of choice is stevia. You can read about why I left refined sugars behind and switched to this low glycemic, skinny sweetener.
- 40 grams Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 20 grams toasted Nuts or ground Flaxseed
- 20 grams chopped dried Fruit or Raisins
- 16 grams Egg White Powder or your favorite Protein Powder
- pinch of Sea Salt
- pinch of ground Cinnamon, Pumpkin Pie Spice, Ginger or a combo
- Stevia Powder or Vanilla Stevia Drops to taste
- optional: unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Put all ingredients other than sweetener in a heat proof mug. Add enough piping hot water to cover the oatmeal, stir. Adjust water according to how thick you like you oat bowl. Let the oatmeal sit a few minutes so it has time to soften. Add stevia and sweeten to taste.
- Use your favorite dried fruits and spices.
- For convenience I love the individual serving squeeze packs of Justin's Nut Butter.
- Instead of powdered egg whites you can use your favorite protein powder. I like the pureness of the eggs.
- If you love chocolate, add a few teaspoons of cocoa powder into the mix.
- You can use 4 tablespoons ground flaxseeds instead of the nuts or a combo of the two.
Stevia Sweetened Breakfast Recipe Links
- Fruit n’ Egg Skillet Oatmeal
- Mixed Berry Parfaits
- Peaches n’ Cream Cake with Walnuts – Gluten Free
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Pan-Crepes
- Stuffed French Toast
- Very Blueberry Layer Cake – Gluten Free
Food & Travel Links
- Eat Well Spend Less Simple Bites
- Travel Essentials MarlaMeridith.com
Sweet & Skinny Twitter Panelists
- Crazy Adventures in Parenting @crazyadventures
- Diets in Review @dietsinreview
- Fab Find Foodie @fabfindfoodie
- MarlaMeridith.com @MarlaMeridith
- Marisa Churchill @marisachurchill
- Truvia @truvia
This giveaway is now closed. Thanks for your entries. Congrats to Roxana from A Little Bit of Everything.
I have an amazing pack of Truvia® goodies to share with one lucky USA based reader. Here is what will be in your prize pack:
- Truvia® branded gardening tote and gloves
- a Copy of Marisa Churchill’s new book Sweet & Skinny
- Truvia® natural sweetener – 1 spoonable, 1 80-count box and a 7-day pack (that’s a whole lot of sweetness!)
- Truvia® branded water bottle
How to Enter
Tell me what your favorite breakfast or dessert is. To earn additional entries, leave a separate comment for each of the steps listed below. If you don’t leave separate comments for each step, the number generator will not count them as separate entries. This giveaway will close on Sunday, June 26th, 12 midnight PST.
- Re-tweet this giveaway, being sure to include my Twitter handle (@MarlaMeridith). Here’s a sample tweet you could use: Sweet stuff! @MarlaMeridith has a @truvia and @marisachurchill cookbook giveaway. Stop by to enter: http://su.pr/1dgj8H
- Follow @MarlaMeridith on Twitter
- Follow @truvia on Twitter
- Follow @marisachurchill on Twitter
- Copy and paste this MarlaMeridith.com Badge into your sidebar or a blog post.
- Stumble this post