Can we all agree that pancakes are the best excuse ever to have cake for breakfast? Especially when you top them with a healthy equivalent to cream cheese frosting…
It was pancake Saturday at our house this weekend ~ my kids woke up and they wanted to prepare breakfast with me. I love spending time with them in the kitchen. It’s these little experiences that become lifetime memories.
We decided on this hearty stack of homemade pancakes (really layer cake, let’s not fool ourselves) with a super special “frosting.” Whipped cream cheese lightly sweetened with pure maple syrup…
Why graham flour in these pancakes? Because I wanted to try something new. In our pantry we have every flour you could imagine. The result? AMAZING!
Graham flour is hearty, flavorful and is the perfect energy rich ingredient to get your day started right! Don’t stress if you don’t have it though. You can play around with other whole grain flours you have in your pantry.
What makes graham flour a little different? I’ll let Wiki Recipes answer that for you.
“It is a type of whole wheat flour named after Sylvester Graham, an early advocate for dietary reform. Rather than simply grinding the whole grain (bran, germ, and endosperm) wheat kernel, the components are ground separately. The endosperm is ground finely, initially creating white flour. The bran and germ are ground coarsely. The two parts are then mixed back together, creating a coarse-textured flour that bakes well.”
Impromptu homemade meals excite me. They thrill me actually. When it comes to certain things (most things) I am a big planner.
An example of my planning? Summer 2013 is all ready booked. That kind of planning.
With meal planning I don’t really plan. I always have certain go-to ingredients on hand so we can create scratch recipes on the fly. There is something so liberating about food experiments that work out perfectly.
All you need for homemade pancakes is flour (your choice), baking powder, butter or coconut oil (any oil really) a pinch of salt, some seasonings and mix-ins if you wish.
It takes only seconds to make your own dry pancake mix. And only seconds more to have the batter ready to hit the griddle.
You can sauce things up with maple syrup, fruity sauces, jams or globs of this homemade 2 ingredient cream cheese maple frosting sauce.
Serve your stack with a little…
Or a lot…
By the way those little green nuts are blanched pistachios that I found at a local Persian market. I love their bright green color!
So go ahead and grab a fork…
Dig in and enjoy!
What is your favorite pancake recipe? Do you ever bake with graham flour?
- 1 1/3 cups (220 grams) Graham Flour or any whole grain flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1 large Egg, whisked
- 2 tablespoons pure Maple Syrup
- 1 cup (8 ounces) Milk (cow, goat, almond, soy, your choice)
- 1 tablespoon Butter, Ghee or Coconut Oil, melted plus extra for the pan
- 4 ounces whipped Cream Cheese
- 2 tablespoons pure Maple Syrup adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon Milk to thin out if needed
- Prepare pancake batter. Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together wet ingredients separately. Combine all to make the batter. Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium heat. Melt butter, ghee or oil in the pan. Spoon pancake batter onto hot pan. Heat for a few minutes until golden brown. Gently flip and cook for another minute or so. Until your pancakes are golden brown and cooked through.
- Stir cream cheese and maple syrup until you have a well combined sauce. Add some milk and thin to desired consistency.
- If your batter thickens too much simple thin out with some more milk.
Pancake Recipe Links
- Blueberry Yogurt Pancakes everything is poetry
- Double Rich Chocolate Pancakes spabettie
- Gluten Free Coconut Corn Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce MarlaMeridith.com
- No Bake Cookie Pancakes Minimalist Baker
- Oatmeal-Yogurt Pancakes with Blueberry Crush Blissfully Delicious
- Savory Hatch Chili and Candied Bacon Pancakes She’s Cookin’
Graham Flour Recipe Links
- Carrot Coffee Cake with Graham Streusel Topping Turntable Kitchen
- Cherry Orange Graham Muffins Chasing Delicious
- Graham Flour Bread (Brunkan Langa Bread) Lucullian Delights
- Healthy Pumpkin Pie The Healthy Foodie
- Homemade Graham Crackers Liv Life