Here’s 6 last minute tips on how to roast the most PERFECT turkey!
1) Choose a turkey that’s right for you! Organic, heritage, fresh or frozen…the choice is yours. If this is last minute buy fresh, turkeys take a long time to thaw. Heirloom turkey is a bit leaner & are gamier in flavor.
2) Don’t put stuffing inside the bird. That’s old school guys. It will take longer for the turkey to cook if you stuff it and can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Stuffing on the side.
3) Calculating how large the turkey should be: go with 1 1/2 pounds per person. This includes the weight of the bones.
4) You need a meat thermometer. This way there is no guessing if your turkey is cooked through. Insert an instant read thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh (don’t let it touch the bone, that will screw up an accurate reading) Turkey is done when internal temperature reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
5) Give your bird a massage…with oil or melted butter! This will ensure a crispy skin. You can also add some pats of butter under the skin. So good! I typically don’t brine, I feel like this rub down technique keeps turkey plenty moist. Be sure to dry your turkey before the rub.
6) Cook your turkey over a bed of chopped veggies (celery, carrots, onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes are all good) This adds to the flavor & moistness. The little lift for the bird allows for heat to circulate around the turkey better. These veggies taste great too!
Good luck! Feel free to share your tips in the comments. We all would love to hear them!