There has been a wispy bit of cool air blowing around here in the San Juan mountains. With the crispness in the air I get really excited for fall and of course my favorite season winter. Flavors that swoon include apples, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. I created this Nutty Apple Tart with cool days in mind, but it is equally as good in the heat of the summer.
What is not to love about a tart loaded with apples, fruit jam and nuts? Have you ever tried St. Dalfour Fruit Conserves? They come in every flavor you could possible imagine and they are 100% fruit, have no added sugar and no preservatives. Trader Joe’s had great 100% fruit jams too. Love that.
You know what I also love? Bob’s Red Mill…..they have every high quality flour, grain, pancake mix, etc. you could possible imagine. They are easy to find too. If you can’t find these products locally, then you can easily order online. Or win my giveaway…..
This tart has the texture of a Linzer tart cookie and layers and layers of flavor. Linzer tarts use nuts and flour as a base for the cookie, so it makes sense that my creation would have a similar flair. We are nuts about nuts over here. I used a combo of pistachios & pine nuts as a topping.
Using quinoa, oat and almond flour gives a great dimension of texture and flavor. I first learned about blanched almond flour earlier this year from Elana of Elana’s Pantry. She knows a thing or two about great food. Almond flour is addictive in baked goods. It is buttery, rich and bakes up perfectly. The good thing is it is also good for you.
Think of this recipe like a sweet pizza, layer it with the fruits, nuts and jams of your choice. Whatever you have available should be perfect. You can play around with the flours too. Let me know what you come up with and how it works out. I love learning new things. When you guys experiment with my recipes I always learn so much!
Have you ever noticed that tarts can be made in so many different ways? Some have creamy tops, some fruity, some have crust on the top and bottom, some are pop tarts. Any which way they are great. Just know that I enjoy this tart often for breakfast, lunch, brunch and snacks. A little piece satisfies in a big way.
Do you have a favorite tart recipe? What are your favorite toppings?
- 1 cup (137 grams) Quinoa Flour
- 1 cup (114 grams) Oat Flour
- 1 cup (125 grams) Blanched Almond Flour
- 1 teaspoon fine Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 tablespoon unrefined Coconut Oil + 1 teaspoon, melted
- 1/2 -1 dropper full Vanilla Stevia Drops
- 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened low fat Coconut Milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Apple Juice
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) all fruit Raspberry Jam (or your flavor choice)
- 1 Apple, sliced thin
- Lemon Juice
- a handful of Pine Nuts, Pecans, Pistachios, etc.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit with the rack in the middle.
- In a medium bowl combine flours, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Add one tablespoon melted coconut oil, stevia drops, vanilla extract, coconut milk and apple juice. With fingertips combine well. The dough will be sticky and crumbly at first. Put it on a lightly floured Silpat or parchment paper and knead for a few minutes until it comes together in a ball. Oil your fingers with some coconut oil if needed.
- Press dough into a flat disk and roll it on the Silpat/parchment to about 1/2 inch thick. Press in any crumbs and smooth out the edges with your fingers. Move dough and liner to a baking sheet. Top with jam (smooth with a spatula,) apples and nuts. Brush one teaspoon melted coconut oil one the top.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes until the crust is firm and golden brown.
Tart Recipe Links
- Apple Pie Pop Tarts Raspberri Cupcakes
- Nectarine and Honey Tarts Carrots n Chocolate
- No Bake Fruit Tarts Honest Cooking
- Nut Free Mango Lime Pies Love Raw
- Peach Pastry Cream Tarts Craving Chronicles
- S’mores Tarts Dawn’s Recipes
- Summer Fruit Crostata MarlaMeridith.com
This giveaway is now closed. Thanks for your entries. Congrats to Irina from Perfect Paradox World #62 and Tiffany #197.
Because I love you & I want to see you eating healthy, fabulous food I have an awesome Bob’s Red Mill giveaway for you. 2 winners get to choose any four products from their vast product line. From whole grain flours, coconut flour, nut flours, flaxseed, cake, pancakes, waffle, muffin mixes, gluten free, filled with gluten. Your choice. Bob’s will send you the standard size packages ranging from 12 oz to 28 oz. You can pick from any four small, pre pack items (in other words, not 5 lb bags). You are not limited to flour. Anything goes! The value of this ranges because you can customize your order.
How to Enter
Leave some comments….tell me why you want and need some Bob’s Red Mill in your life. What is your favorite thing to bake? You have until Sunday, August 28th, 12 midnight PST to enter this giveaway. TWO winners will be chosen via random.org and will have 3 days to respond or a new winner will be selected. Open to residents of the USA.
To earn additional entries, leave a separate comment for each of the steps listed below. If you don’t leave separate comments for each step, we will not be able to include them.
- Tell me what you will bake and create with Bob’s products.
- Head over to Bob’s Red Mill webpage and tell me which products you want.
- Tweet this giveaway, being sure to include my Twitter handle (@MarlaMeridith). Here’s a sample tweet you could use or make up your own: Love to bake, make pancakes, waffles and more? @MarlaMeridith has a @Bobs_Red_Mill giveaway for 2 lucky winners http://su.pr/2DkQJ1
- Follow @MarlaMeridith on Twitter
- Follow @Bobs_Red_Mill on Twitter
- Add the MarlaMeridith.com badge into your sidebar or somewhere on your blog
- Sign up for my Email or RSS feeds
- Stumble this post & follow me @familyfresh on StumbleUpon
- Add a link to this post on your blog.
- Follow @MarlaMeridith on Instagram
MarlaMeridith.com disclosure: I use Bob’s Red Mill products all the time. I reached out to them to share these products with you. I love to share things I love with you guys, it’s as simple as that.