A few amazing things happened this week. Some of them have to do with food, others not (you will need to hold tight on those.) One amazing thing can be called to attention now. Broccoli Pesto Sauce that doubles as a dip.
Meet Catherine…hi there! Not only is her cookbook awesome but she is such a great gal. I love her energy spunk and great taste. We have lots in common and we really like clean, healthy and delicious food…
Have you ever made a small life decision that impacts your world in a great way. I did just that this week.
One of the smartest moves I have made in a while: I have delegated a whole lot of school drop-offs and pick-ups to my hubs. That guarantees me more time in the kitchen to experiment with new recipes like this AMAZING Broccoli Pesto.
Have you ever made pesto sauce with broccoli? It is one of the simplest things to prepare and it offers a great flavor boost to just about everything. Of course you can use it as a pasta sauce. I love mine stirred into quinoa. How about topping a baked potato with this? I also tossed chickpeas with it, a great way to go.
By the way I have a delicious Toasted Walnut Spinach Pesto you can check out too.
Make your pesto as thin or thick as you like. I like ours on the thicker side. To thin it out simply add some more olive oil or water when blending. On the thinner side it would make a great salad dressing.
Really the sky is the limit.
This is 1 out of 140 healthy and tasty recipes that Catherine has in her book.
She uses easy to find, whole foods in her recipes. They are kid-tested, parent approved & great for you. Catherine proves that we can teach or kids to make healthy choices by introducing them to making right decisions from the beginning.
There is nothing sneaky or tricky involved.
Catherine and I (along with a lot of you) have the same mindset about providing nourishing fit-food to our families.
Kids should join in the shopping and cooking experience, they love watching processes and sequences of events.
Also having them help in the kitchen from time to time strategically sets them up to be little foodies. The less hectic weekends are a great time for this!
This book is not only for people with little kids. It is great for anyone who is trying to live a life filled with simple, budget friendly, great tasting whole foods.
There is a section on baby purées, but you can bypass that or enjoy them as a “big kid” if you don’t have littles in your house. The bulk of the book is great for anyone, any age at all!
Hopefully you can get your hands on Weelicious soon, in the mean time I have a giveaway copy for one lucky reader. Scroll down below the recipe for a chance to win!
Do you have a favorite pesto recipe? Do you go traditional with basil or do you have a special twist?
*This recipe is adapted from the Weelicous cookbook. Pesto is open to lots of creativity, have fun with it!
- 2 cups (145 grams) fresh Broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup (65 grams) cup toasted Walnuts
- 1/2 cup (65 grams) grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 3/4 cup (145 grams) Olive Oil (adjust accordingly)
- 1 tablespoon Capers
- Blanch, steam or microwave broccoli for a few minutes until it is bright green but not too soft. Plunge in an ice bath to stop cooking. Remove and pat with a paper towel to dry. Purée in a blender or food processor with the remainder of the ingredients.
- Experiment with the types of nuts and cheese you use in this pesto. Pecans, almonds or pistachios would be great too. Any firm cheese would also be nice to try, you can combine it with the parmesan or experiment with other blends.
- Adjust how thick your pesto is by adding more or less olive oil or water. This recipe will yield a thicker pesto which easily doubles as a dip or sauce.
One lucky reader from the USA can win a gorgeous Weelicious cookbook right here! If you just can’t wait you can also purchase one from my Amazon.com store.
Pesto Recipe Links
- Cabbage Pesto carina-forum
- Kale and Basil Pesto Knead to Cook
- Pesto Lasagna Manu’s Menu
- Roasted Red Pepper Pesto with Toasted Walnuts & Goat Cheese Aida Mollenkamp
- Spaghetti with Rocket, Spinach & Pecan Pesto Simply Delicious
- Toasted Walnut Spinach Pesto MarlaMeridith.com