Are you looking for a quick and satisfying meal? Something that can go full circle from dinner to lunch and back again? Great! This pasta is perfect no matter when you enjoy it.
This recipe I adapted from one of my besties cookbooks. I bet most of you know Jenny from Picky Palate right?
I am thrilled to share the Picky Palate cookbook with you all today!
If you have any picky eaters in your house then this cookbook is essential. The recipes are well rounded, ingredients easy to find and the meals are very affordable.
There is a great reason why Jenny’s blog is one of the most popular foodie destinations in the world.
Yes, in the world folks.
Jenny’s amazing personality shines through in the intro and all of the head notes in the book. Her recipes are sure to become family favorites!
In this cookbook you will find tempting breakfasts such as: Apple-Spice Puff Pancake with Caramel Syrup, Bacon and Cheddar Florentine Quiche & Streusel-Topped Pumpkin Bread.
There are plenty of savories for lunch and dinner: Cheesy Chicken Pot Pies, Slow-Cooked Green Chili Pork Tacos, 10-Minute Creamy Tomato-Basil Soup & Black Bean Guacamole Burgers are a few to tempt you.
The desserts! Jenny has such a way with sweets.
In her book you will be dazzled by Ice Cream Sundae Brownies, Almond Lover’s Chocolate Chip Cookies (yes please!) her super famous Oreo-Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies and plenty more!
My kids and husband love pasta. Seriously, they could eat it for every meal.
This skillet dinner is filled with protein from lean bison and cheese.
I used brown rice pasta so my gluten free readers would not feel left out.
The crushed tomatoes offer up some veggies.
I love to serve pasta with a side of extra tomato sauce too.
My recipe here is an adaptation. Be sure to check out page 108 (Rigatoni Skillet Dinner) in the Picky Palate cookbook for Jenny’s version.
Also visit The Picky Palate Cookbook post on Jenny’s blog to see more reviews and stores to purchase her cookbook. It would make for an amazing and affordable holiday gift!
- 8 ounces dry Brown Rice Pasta
- 1 pound organic ground Bison (lean chopped meat great too!)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup chopped White Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon fine Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 14 ounce can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 1/4 cup low fat Shredded Mozzaralla Cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian Parsley, plus extra for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking. Set oven to a low broil with the rack in the middle. Sauté onion and garlic in a large oven safe skillet over medium heat until softened and fragrant. Add the bison, salt, smoked paprika and pepper. Stir and break up the meat until it is browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain fat from pan if necessary. Add the tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup of the mozzarella and the pasta, stir to combine until well combined and cheese is melted.
- Top skillet pasta with 1 cup shredded mozzarella. Put skillet under the broiler for about 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and browned.
Skillet Pasta Recipe Links
- Cheesy Tex-Mex Pasta Skillet The Comfort of Cooking
- Chicken, Broccoli and Cheese Trottole Pasta Miss in the Kitchen
- Mediterranean Shrimp Skillet Iowa Girl East
- Skillet Lasagna Generation Y Foodie
- One Skillet Pumpkin Lasagna The Realistic Nutritionist
- Weeknight Fettuccine with Sausage and Kale Pass the Sushi