Chicken with Capers and Tomatoes – Pasta Dish
October 11, 2010
I have just returned home from BlogHer Food in San Francisco. I will be sharing more on that amazing event soon. In the mean time my mission is to give you healthy, whole food recipes that are yummy & simple to prepare. So to keep you inspired and cooking those meals for your family, I came up with this delicious Italian Style Chicken with Capers and Cherry Tomatoes.
This chicken with pasta recipe was quick and simple to toss together, but it tasted like so much more effort was put into it. When we use fresh, high quality whole food ingredients, the flavors speak for themselves. Adding capers, smoked paprika and excellent parmesan cheese gives a big flavor boost. Sautéeing and browning the chicken in a small amount of butter and garlic gives another rich dimension of flavor. If you like Puttanesca sauce, then you will love this dish.
This meal is great for lunch or dinner and is perfect for on the go lunchbox meals as well. Serve with your favorite side salad or steamed veggies for a full meal. Look how awesome it packs up into our Easy Lunchboxes.
What is your favorite pasta dish you like to prepare for your family?
Chicken with Capers and Tomatoes
Makes about 8 servings
- I used Garbanzo flour because I had it and wanted to experiment with it. You don’t have to hunt it down for this recipe. It serves as a light breading, you can use most other flours instead including whole wheat, corn, rice flour etc.
- 2 pounds of Chicken Breast, trimmed of fat and cubed into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup Garbanzo flour
- dash of each Smoked Paprika, Salt and Pepper
- 5 diced Garlic Cloves
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Butter
- 1/2 pint Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Capers & a splash of the Caper juices
- serve with shaved Parmesan, Romano or your favorite cheese
Coat chicken breast pieces in garbanzo flour. Heat a large non stick skillet over medium heat, add butter, olive oil & garlic. Lightly brown garlic and add smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet. Loosely cover pan & heat chicken until browned about 3 minutes. Flip with tongs and sauté another 3-4 minutes until all sides are browned and chicken is mostly cooked through.
Add cherry tomatoes, capers & caper juices. Cook another 3-4 minutes until flavors are well combined, tomatoes have softened and chicken is cooked through.
Serve with brown rice or your favorite whole grain or GF pasta. Top with shaved Pecorino Romano, Feta or Parmesan Cheese
- This recipe is great for gluten-free diets if you stick with a GF flour to coat your chicken in before browning.
- Use any pasta from whole wheat to Gluten Free ones as well.
- Rice or quinoa would be a perfect substitution for the pasta as well.
Italian Style Chicken Recipe Links