Pomegranate, coconut and chocolate pair beautifully in this creamy, dreamy shake. Enjoy for breakfast or mini meal snacks. The small crunch of toasted cacao nibs adds a fun textural element. This tastes like an ice cream shake, but in reality, it is filled with great for you, healthy ingredients.
Healthy treats. My two favorite words. The wonderful thing about this shake is it tastes like a real milkshake but it is filled with great for you ingredients. Pomegranates, coconut and cacao nibs all have unique health characteristics. Gosh, it is so fun to find them all in one sweet and satisfying place.
Pomegranate: The extract found in the pomegranate arils (seeds) is loaded with antioxidants. The specific combination of antioxidants found here are called polyphenols. Studies have proven these polyphenols may help fight the flu. Perfect for this time of year! Pomegranate extract has anti-inflammatory properties and it can also help fight certain cancers. That sure sounds like a Superfood to me!! Click the following links to read more about the Pomegranate:
Cacao Nibs: Do you love chocolate? If so you will love cacao nibs. These are the building blocks that go into your favorite cocoa or chocolate bar…..without the added processing, sugar and fats. They have unrefined healthy fats and loads of antioxidants. Nibs also have all natural “feel good” mood enhancers including Anandamide and Phenylethylamine. Hard to say, but simple to feel! They help fight off depressed feelings and give you that gushy love bug feeling! I say bring on the Cacao! Female First has some more to read more about Cacao Nibs. Ulimana has great research and interesting, delicious sounding products too!
Cacao nibs are found in a lot of markets these days. I usually get mine at Whole Foods and there are a number of online sources as well. You can buy them raw or roasted. I generally buy ours raw and organic, then roast them in the oven at 350˚ F for about 10 minutes until slightly browned and fragrant.
Coconut: In my Coconut Cornbread Muffin recipe, I share helpful info about the benefits of coconut in your diet. Please click the following to read more about these benefits. Coconut Cornbread Muffins: Coconut and your Health
Pomegranate Coconut Shake with Cacao Nibs
make one 12 ounce shake
- 1/4 Cup Light Coconut Milk
- 4 oz Non-Fat Yogurt – I like Greek Strained Yogurt
- 1 heaping tablespoon of Roasted or Raw Cacao Nibs (You can purchase them either way, see below how to roast your own)
- 1/4 Cup Pomegranate Arils
- a pinch of Ground Ginger
- Sweetener: Sweeten to taste. I use my English Toffee Sweetleaf Stevia Drops you can also use Maple Syrup, Agave Nectar, or Honey.
- Ice: a big handful
- Splash of Water
- Optional: for an added health and flavor booster you can throw in a splash of Pomegranate juice and some Pomegranate extract.
Roasting Cacao Nibs: Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Spread nibs out on a baking sheet and roast for about 5-7 minutes until fragrant and slightly browned. Toss once gently during roasting. Let cool and use in your shake and other favorite recipes. I store ours in an airtight container in the fridge to keep them super fresh.
Shake: Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend well. Top with additional Cacao Nibs, Pomegranate Arils, and Unsweetened Coconut flake.
Shake Recipe Links
- 5 Holiday Smoothie Recipes Lunch Box Bunch
- 5 Minute Triple Berry Smoothies The Fresh Fridge
- Kiwi Avocado Coconut Shake MarlaMeridith.com
- Smoothies for Breakfast The Pioneer Woman
- Strawberry Cacao Milkshake Just Making Noise
- Vegan Cookies and Cream Shake Bittersweet Blog