Are you ready to try a unique and fun new recipe? I sure hope so! I love breakfast casseroles for many reasons. The top two reasons are they are at the ready for grab & go breakfasts and they taste amazing! I have been doing a lot of baked oatmeal lately and I thought it would be fun to mix things up with quinoa. Quinoa is a favorite ingredient for lots of you these days, so I figured it was time to make a breakfast recipe with it! This is a sweet mixture of black quinoa, sweet potatoes, dried fruit, eggs, coconut milk and spices.
Do you ever have quinoa for breakfast? If not you must…
Can you get a peek-a-boo look at that colorful egg crate behind the fresh pomegranates? My daughter had fun painting it all the colors of the rainbow. It was a beautiful day & she set up her paints on our back yard table and got to work.
Casseroles and breakfast bakes are so nice because they require minimum clean up and you can experiment freely with flavors and toppings. Sweet potatoes are a great whole food, high energy way to start the day. There is lots of usable protein in this recipe too with the eggs and quinoa. High energy foods are very important to us. Always.
Please don’t forget your favorite cowboy coffee cup.
Quinoa is also great in savories. For example my Wild Salmon Basil Aioli and Quinoa is amazing! I urge you to try that at your earliest opportunity.
In the mean time let’s get baking fro breakfast. Prepare this casserole the night before so you can wake up to something nourishing, healthy and very delicious. This recipe is also gluten free so folks who cannot eat gluten are not left out on the flavorful fun!
Do you have a favorite breakfast casserole recipe?
- 1 cup Black Quinoa
- 2 cups Light Unsweetend Coconut Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon fine Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Ginger
- 1/2 cup Dried Fruit, I like Goji Berries and fruit juice sweetened Dried Cranberries
- 3/4 cup mashed Sweet Potato
- Vanilla Stevia Drops to taste, or your favorite natural sweetener. Add to taste.
- 2 large Eggs, whisked
- Pomegranate Seeds
- Dried Fruit
- freshly Whipped Cream
- Rinse quinoa under cold water. Combine quinoa, coconut milk, salt, spices and dried fruit. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 25-30 minutes until all the liquid has evaporated and the quinoa is creamy. Remove from the heat, transfer to a mixing bowl and mix in mashed sweet potato and eggs. Stir in 1/2 cup of water to the mixture before baking, it should be a bit runny.
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F with the rack in the middle. Spray a oven safe pie dish or 9X9 casserole dish with baking spray. Add mixture to baking dish. Bake for about 25 minutes, until the eggs and casserole are set and not jiggly.
- I like mashed sweet potatoes not puréed canned ones in this recipes. The chunks are nice for texture and flavor.
Breakfast Bakes & Casserole Recipe Links
- Blueberry Coconut Baked Steel Cut Oatmeal MarlaMeridith.com
- Breakfast Millet Casserole My Conscious Eating
- Cinnamon Apple Bake Breakfast Natural Noshing
- Coconut Buckwheat Breakfast Bake Running to the Kitchen
- Cheesy Bacon Apple Frittata MarlaMeridith.com
- Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole Oh She Glows