On one of my recent trips we cooked a whole bunch. I mean a lot. Or maybe I should say we didn’t cook I took a whole lot of photos. One of my friends is a reaaalllly good cook. Same kinda cooking I love to do. Real. Whole. Foods. Nothin else to it and nothing else will do. We share a great enthusiasm and genuine love of food.
Love squash? Great than you will love this smashed squash that needs nothing more that a pat of butter (if you wish, you don’t even need that.)
My pal trades fresh fish he catches for all kids of vegetables and produce. He gets loads of squash. I mean enough to fill the back of a pick up. Heavy amounts of squash. Muscle making squash.
As we all know, none of that can go to waste. What do you do with all that squash? Bake the heck out of it and smash it.
He says that the main trick to get this right is to combine these 4 squash varieties for these 4 reasons & I have to agree….
All you need to do: Pierce, bake until reeeallly soft. Let the squash cool. And then start smashing, mashing….and bagging for freezer storage.
Fast food? Yup. This is natures fit fast food. You grab a bag of this sweet stash from your freezer on a chilly winters day. Heat it up and you have a delicious, comforting, healthy side or meal.
I enjoyed mine with hunks of artisan cheese. Amazing I tell ya! (Obviously you will skip that if vegan or Paleo.)
Want your squash a little sweeter? Don’t be shy to add a pinch of salt, pure maple syrup and a dusting of cinnamon. Do that when you serve it though.
Serve this up in cute little soup/bean pots like you serve here or cute little Le Creuset Mini Cocottes.
How do you like to prepare squash?
Squash Recipes on MarlaMeridith.com
- Acorn Squash Quinoa Breakfast Porridge
- Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheese
- Spaghetti Squash Sesame Noodles with Edamame
- Spaghetti Squash Noodles with Thai Peanut Sauce
- Stuffed Sweet Dumpling Squash
Squash Recipe Links
- Bouillabaisse with Roasted Yellow Squash and Chickpeas Post Punk Kitchen
- Creamy Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheese Clearly Delicious Food Blog
- Hearty Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash & Quinoa Fearless Homemaker
- Mexican Baked Spaghetti Squash Baked In
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Balsamic and Rosemary Frugal Freebies and Deals