Why have one favorite when you can have two? When I don’t know what to name a recipe I dream up all the possibilities and then explode with a title. In this case we have grilled cheese. Then it is dipped in an egg batter. It is then toasted in a hot pan until it is crispy on the edges and hot & gooey in the middle. Not only is it grilled cheese, but it straddles French Toast too. I guess you could say it is a stuffed french toast. The strawberries add sweet & fruity and the cheese adds creamy, rich, fill you up decadence.
This recipe can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, brunch, snacks or even tossed inside your lunch box for a meal on the go. So many possibilities for a name but one thing I know for certain……it tastes AWESOME!
If you want to go sweeter add some stevia or your favorite natural sweetener. If you wanna go really sweet dunk each bite in maple syrup. It’s your call. I went for semi-sweet. The sweetness of the strawberries mixed with the creamy, salty mozzarella combine to create utter perfection in each bite. With a steamy cop of coffee in hand you have your own little party. My favorite stevia just changed their formula a bit….it’s got more crunch like a granulated sugar. Love it sprinkled on top of this stuffed french toast.
If you want to keep everyone sleeping in the house make sure you cook this after they awake. The aroma as it cooks will wake even the heaviest sleeper!
I recently wrote a guest post for the nutritionist Robyn Webb. This recipe is suitable for a low-glycemic diabetic lifestyle. I would forgo the maple syrup & go with the stevia if you need to watch your sugars. Remember my Strawberry, Basil & Brie Omelette? Both have become favorites around here. What is your favorite cheese & fruit combination?
Strawberry-Mozzarella Stuffed French Toast
Ingredients per sandwich
- Experiment with your favorite cheese and fruit choices. There are so many possibilities!
Makes one stuffed french toast sandwich
- 2 slices sprouted grain bread (my favorites are Ezekiel & Alvarado St. Bakery)
- 3 ounces Egg Whites
- 4 thinly sliced Fresh Strawberries (use thawed frozen ones if you need to)
- 2 ounces sliced low fat Mozzarella Cheese
- Optional Sweetener of choice: Stevia, Maple or Agave, Sucanat
- Garnish: sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg or powdered sugar, or all
Pre-heat medium sized non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Put egg whites in bowl. Add a sprinkle of salt and a bit of sweetener if desired. Stir. Layer a slice of bread with cheese and strawberries. Put second slice on top. Carefully dip both sides of the sandwich in egg whites. Place in pan with loose covered lid. Cook about 2 minutes until cheese starts to melt & bread is slightly crispy & browned. Flip sandwich. Reduce heat if needed and cook the second side for 1-2 minutes.
Grilled Cheese Recipe Links
- Egg Battered Grilled Cheese Family Fresh Cooking
- Grilled Cheese Bruschetta Family Fresh Cooking
- 27 Simple Panini Panini Happy
- Caprese Grilled Cheese ingredients, inc.
- 3 Grilled Cheese Recipes Recipe Girl
French Toast Recipe Links