Guess what….back on June 25th it was my blogs 2nd birthday. I did not utter a word. Until now. OK, maybe a teensy weensy tweet. But that was all. Now it is time to paaartyy!! I wanted to celebrate with a recipe that I thought best reflected the healthy and tasty lifestyle that grace the pages of MarlaMeridith.com.
This post is way different that my birthday post last year which was kinda campy & silly. I guess being two years old has brought about a certain level of sophistication and maturity. Maybe. I do love kitschy, campy and silly. Let’s celebrate together with a summer fruit crostata.
We have a winner for my Blendtec giveaway. Hop on over to see who it is…..
Lately I have been on a dessert pizza kick. These crostatas are pretty much dessert pizzas/open faced pies. No matter how you slice ’em.
With the abundance of beautiful summer fruit there is temptation everywhere. Use whatever you have on hand for these quick rustic treats. Folks who love pie enjoy the ease of a crostata, it takes minimal effort but yields similar results. It takes just minutes to roll out some pizza dough and top it with your favorite fruits (we love peaches and apricots,) cheese, jams, etc…….
Fresh raspberries are a favorite too.
Use your favorite home made or store bought dough, in this case I use whole wheat. You can go gluten free too. Within about 20 minutes you have a classic dessert, breakfast or brunch in your hands.
Don’t forget to top your crostata with some toasted nuts. A handful of slivered almonds, pistachios, peanuts, hazelnuts, pecans or walnuts adds a nice crunch.
Here are some flowers for you today. These beauties are from out front yard. Thank goodness for our lawn man. He keeps them alive, if it was up to me…..their fate would be not so rosey.
Do you make your own pizza, pie or crostata dough? If so feel free to paste the recipe or the link into the comments below. I am on the hunt for great whole grain and/or gluten free recipes.
Have you ever made a crostata? If so what are your favorite toppings?
Since we are celebrating MarlaMeridith.coms 2nd birthday I wanted to give something to you guys. Without all of my awesome friends that I have made through this blog it would not be nearly as much fun. I love to give back……so here is something for you.
This giveaway is now closed. Thanks for your entries. Congrats to Caroline comment #170.
Are you guys ready to make some crostatas and dessert pizzas? I have a KitchenAid counter top convection oven ($129.95 value) that will bake them up perfectly! This convection oven can fit a 12″ pizza, 6 slices of toast and can heat food up to 450˚F. How about two roasting chickens, or a small ham or beef roast? No problem, this can handle that too. The fan-circulated hot air convection feature distributes heat around food for faster cooking times. Perfect for countertops in any size kitchen.
How to Enter
Leave some comments….tell me why you want and need this convection oven. What is your favorite pie, dessert pizza or crostata? You have until Sunday, August 7th, 12 midnight PST to enter this giveaway. Winner will be chosen via random.org and will have 3 days to respond or a new winner will be selected. Open to residents of the USA.
To earn additional entries, leave a separate comment for each of the steps listed below. If you don’t leave separate comments for each step, we will not be able to include them.
- Tell me what you will make with this oven.
- Tweet this giveaway, being sure to include my Twitter handle (@MarlaMeridith). Here’s a sample tweet you could use or make up your own: Pls RT: Dash over to MarlaMeridith.com @MarlaMeridith has a @KitchenAidUSA counter top convection oven *giveaway* http://su.pr/1xkcRh
- Follow @MarlaMeridith on Twitter
- Follow @KitchenAidUSA on Twitter
- Add the MarlaMeridith.com badge into your sidebar or somewhere on your blog
- Sign up for my Email or RSS feeds
- Stumble this post & follow me @familyfresh on StumbleUpon
- Add a link to this post on your blog.
- Follow @MarlaMeridith on Instagram
Crostata & Dessert Pizza Recipe Links
- Blueberry Crostata with Cornmeal Crust Waiting for Gateau
- Chocolate Cherry Ricotta Grilled Pizzas MarlaMeridith.com
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Pizzas MarlaMeridith.com
- Cherry Pizza Ricotta Dolce Creative Culinary
- Peach Crostata Everyday Occasions by Jenny Steffens
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crostata Sweet Potato Chronicles
Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe Links
MarlaMeridith.com disclosure: The folks at KitchenAid offered me a Counter Top Convection Oven which I a happily passing along to you. They will send it to one lucky reader once selected. The opionions expressed on the pages of this blog are my own.