It’s that time of the year when the temperatures are falling and our skin might need a little extra help staying hydrated. The fall and winter months tend to be really dry, especially where I live here in the Rocky Mountains. Dry skin can be itchy and or flaky, and it’s harder to apply makeup evenly when it’s like this. We all have a few all-natural ingredients in our homes that we can use to make our very own face masks. Watch that flaky skin disappear as your skin will look & feel revitalized, hydrated and glowing.
There is an added bonus of these too, they have astringent ingredients that combat acne and clogged pores as well. Mix a batch of each as you need them. Remember, these are fresh ingredients, I would not mix a larger batch than needed. Using a mask a few times a week is great. If you only have time for once a week, that is great. I bet you will be craving them more though!
Steps to the perfect at home facial:
- Prep your face by washing your face with warm water a gentle cleanser and a washcloth. Remove any makeup.
- Choose which mask you will use.
- Mix all ingredients for the mask in a clean bowl.
- Spread the mask in an even layer over face, neck and chest.
- Leave mask on for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove mask completely with a warm, damp washcloth.
- Apply your favorite sunscreen & moisturizer
- Away you go, facing the day with a vibrant glow!
Honey, Coconut Oil, Yogurt & Lemon
This invigorating mask will purify your pores with the honey & lemon. The coconut oil and yogurt sooth and combat the dryness.
- 2 tbsp plain full-fat yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
Pumpkin, Cinnamon, Yogurt & Brown Sugar
Fall & winter ingredients combine in this mask. Cozy up with a good book and reap the benefits of this antioxidant filled mask. You might even want to eat this one! The pumpkin is good for healing the skin and balances oil production. The cinnamon as well. The yogurt soothes and the brown sugar acts as an exfoliant.
- 1/4 cup plain full-fat yogurt
- 1 tbsp unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Sweet Almond, Banana & Baking Soda
This mask is both gently exfoliating from the baking soda & very moisturizing with the mashed banana and almond oil.
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sweet almond oil
Lavender, Citrus & Olive Oil Mask
The lavender will help to relax and purify stressed skin. The orange juice is both an antioxidant (filled with vitamin C) and astringent. The olive oil soothes and moisturizes.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dry lavender (crush in your finger to release scent)
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
Here’s another great homemade mask for you to try: